College internship fossils

visedhercules98

I think this is some type of coral.

Its eight inches in length 1&3/4width

the fossil is two tubes that run parrel with each other but still is attached in the middle.

Inside the tubes, there are hollow in the center may be for transportation of water and nutrients or something.

IMG_2599.thumb.JPG.94b29d99e1482fe0cc1c768cfb117de5.JPGIMG_2592.thumb.JPG.7465ae18cad8a97d1e465653309f1a64.JPG

Unsure what it is but could it be a build up around a vent ?

Mike

Location is unknown I was given a random box with random fossils and they said good luck that’s all the information I have on these fossils.

This reminds me of a speleothem. :unsure: 

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

28 minutes ago, visedhercules98 said:

I think this is some type of coral.

Its eight inches in length 1&3/4width

the fossil is two tubes that run parrel with each other but still is attached in the middle.

Inside the tubes, there are hollow in the center may be for transportation of water and nutrients or something.

IMG_2599.thumb.JPG.94b29d99e1482fe0cc1c768cfb117de5.JPGIMG_2592.thumb.JPG.7465ae18cad8a97d1e465653309f1a64.JPG

when you zoom into the first picture, it looks like a some crystals built up inside....

Everything is generated through your own will power ~ Ray Bradbury

12 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

This reminds me of a speleothem. :unsure: 

Yup: stalactite(s).

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I'm on board with speleothem (stalactite or stalacmite).  I see no structure suggestive of a coral or sponge.

Don

I was going with Stelagtite before I saw your comments Tim.  Yes the void is where water would be traveling through.

I agree with stalagmite or stalactite.  Notice the way it is built up of concentric layers over time (evidenced in the first picture).

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

under further analysis, I agree with the stalagmite/stalactite because of the crystal structure in the interior with the cavern running down to the end of the stem. This meaning that there was somewhat of a steady water flow brings sediment along with it forming the structure.

52 minutes ago, ynot said:

I was thinking an iron concretion around a root.

Rhizolith?

the first one looks like one.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Context is everything and we have none. Could be speleothem or rhizolith or something else..But not sponge I think.

I also agree with some form of speleothem. The inside view clearly shows a buildup of crystals in concentric layers. Coral fossil is unlikely because there isn't any diagnostic features of it in the item in question (shape alone is almost never reliable because there have been plenty of instances where ordinary rocks have been coincidentally shaped like a fossil)

5 minutes ago, westcoast said:

Context is everything and we have none

He was given the item in question by a college professor for an fossil identification internship. The catch is that the fossils he received were not supposed to have been previously identified in any way and their location unrecorded.

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

26 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

Rhizolith?

Wait, are both pictures the same piece?

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

35 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

Rhizolith?

Yeah, that is the word I was looking for.

But I think speliotherm is the correct id for this piece.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

24 minutes ago, ynot said:

Yeah, that is the word I was looking for.

But I think speliotherm is the correct id for this piece.

Me as well, if they are the same specimen.

Happy hunting,

Mason

The multiple concetric layers and the hollow polygonal inside structure visible in the  transverse section view suggests Rhizolith, similar to the formation of speleotherms. Maybe I'm wrong and Mason, but usually speleothems have a more rounded hollow inside, in my opinion, but I could be wrong.

IMG_2599.JPG.e185a4ec993d74b58d183e108bf0ef82.thumb.JPG.ffc2b569e735b0141842d82b4fc073e6.JPGSIA0670.jpg.9cb4a6b26b91d6262006ab65c54cf121.jpg

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

After thinking about this piece, I will stick with a rhizolith.

If it were a stalactite the hole in the center would be round and would not be crystal lined. Also the broken ends would show a radiating crystal structure, as it would be a calcite mineral.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

I can see it either way, speleothem or rhizolith.

Would a rhizolith qualify as a fossil?

Don

6 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

Don

Depends on your definition of fossil. If it is evidence of a past living thing then yes.

Happy hunting,

Mason

4 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

Don

I am pretty sure it's a stalactite (crystals in the center cavity contraindicate rhizolith, as does the fact that it appears to be a carbonate evaporite, rather than an iron-cemented accretion).

A rhizolith would technically be an ichnofossil if it were over 10,000 years old.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Archived