fossils for internship

visedhercules98

Hey, guys, the next one is what appears to be a part of a humorous bone.

Length is 5&1/4 inches

width at the joint is three inches plus

what do I need to do if a fossil is broken in half?

How do I upload more pictures to this because I have some better quality picture from all angles but, it says the picture is using too many gigabytes when it clearly says a that specific picture is only 955 kilobytes.

IMG_E2609.thumb.JPG.4710ad424952639e57b87b32a238b064.JPG

4 minutes ago, visedhercules98 said:

I have some better quality picture from all angles but, it says the picture is using too many gigabytes when it clearly says a that specific picture is only 955 kilobytes.

There is a glitch in the software.

Sometimes You have to refresh the page to make more uploads.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

This was something me and my professor just kinda set up as fun internship was nothing to serious about it really. ButI do want to learn how to do it and not take the easy way. I have identified three fossils by myself and it took multiple hours of studying to get those. I just notice that time was winding down and I could use some assistance that’s all. 

I happen to have a cetecean humerus and I’m rather confident that this is one

27C954F4-0D28-419B-AFC5-F41840D69FAA.jpeg

87E40458-1F29-48C4-A841-57CC33D34D11.jpeg

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

4 hours ago, visedhercules98 said:

How do you know it’s from the cretaceous? 

Not from the Cretaceous, from a cetecean (whale/dolphin).

(As such, it would be no older than the Eocene).

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Yours beings a bit more compressed I imagine yours would be from a smaller cetecean. Mine is from the Miocene, plum point member of the Calvert formation, Plum Point, Maryland. No real way to tell the location of your fossil (if it is indeed a fossil) but Miocene and Pliocene are more likely.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

cetacean even! :D  As far as I know, there were no Cretaceous cetaceans.  The mesonychids (probably related to the cetaceans) were land-dwelling carnivorous mammals that had their heyday in the Paleocene/Eocene and the cetaceans seem to have begun to make the land-to-sea transition sometime during the middle Eocene (example is Pakicetus).  If your fossil is, indeed, a cetacean and if it from North America, it could range anywhere from the late Oligocene to modern!  @Boesse can undoubtedly provide more information.

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

I don't have a copy of the cetacean humerus chapter from Lee Creek IV on hand, so I can't comment yet on the Georgia specimen; but I can confirm that @WhodamanHD's humerus is probably Squalodon (I'm about 90% confident).

• 2 weeks later...

Archived