Kimi64

Hello everyone,

I apologize for the delay in making my report, but my latest trip was delayed by an upper respiratory infection. I took this past week off from work, with plans to visit  both Matoaka and Flag Ponds, but then the virus hit and so goes the best laid plans of mice and fossil hunters. By Thursday, after four days of long naps and lots of fluids, I decided I was well enough to make the hour and a half drive down.  I also thought that some sunshine would do me good. The day was gorgeous, not the normal, swampy heat that my home state of Maryland is known for. We call it, 'the air that you wear.'  Surprisingly, the crowd was small. for such a beautiful, sunny day. I arrived at the cliffs around noon. High tide was around 9:30 that day, so while I would have preferred to go earlier, I waited for the tide to roll out a bit.  The waves were a bit stronger than I expected, so I am glad that I waited. It was not a day for teeth because I found nothing other than a few tiny lemon shark teeth.  But after meeting Igotarock and seeing her report, I had shells on my brain more than teeth this time. 

Whodaman, I was not feeling up to going all the way up the beach to the second cliff, but I have been eyeing it up for weeks. It is on my list for a cooler day or maybe a day when I can get an earlier start. The material that fell down a few weeks ago at the first run of cliffs is still revealing gems. On my way to the fall, I made the mistake of slipping on the clay ridge at the base of the cliffs. I know that area is very slippery and I try to avoid it, but I stepped up on it for a minute because the sun had dried  it fairly well so I thought I was safe  and I wanted to look at a very large clam shell. On my way back to the sand, my feet both went out from under me at the same time. Fortunately my bum hit the sand and not the harder clay. I banged my left wrist up a bit and it was very sore last night, but no permanent damage.  After sitting for a bit and making sure there was no real damage that would keep me from going on, I made my way to the fall, found some promising chunks and put them in a bucket that I had brought along with some bubble wrap. Tonight, I got out the toothbrush and the dental pick and revealed this,

IMG_20180720_223032073.jpg  IMG_20180720_233821486.jpg

The Echpora is 7.6 cm long and the larger of the moon snails is 4.8 cm long. I don't know why that photo cam out so darn big btw. This is the first time I have posted photos to the froum from my new phone, so I feel like I am having to learn how to do it all over again. :(

nice gastropod (or whatever type of shell that is).

:trex::trilo::meg:games are fun, but finding fossil is even better!:meg::trilo::trex:

Very nice shells. 
Sorry for your illness taking up most of your vacation. Bummer. :( 

Glad you managed to make it out, though. :) 

Thanks for the report. 

Regards,

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

• 1 month later...

I just wanted to update this trip report to add the nice jawbone that I found. I have some nice Hemis  & two other bones to add here later. This photo is a little dark, but it will have to do for now. I enlarged this 3x.

IMG_20180827_144154433.jpg

19 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Nice finds! 

That jaw piece is terrific! :)

Thank you, it is my first one. It has a speck of she'll stuck in one socket, but it is going to have to stay there. I don't want to risk damaging it.

1 minute ago, Kimi64 said:

Thank you, it is my first one. It has a speck of she'll stuck in one socket, but it is going to have to stay there. I don't want to risk damaging it.

Yeah, i see, I wouldn't risk it either! :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

So now I just need to figure out what this is. It isn't a fossil, as it doesn't stick to my tongue, but what is it? It isn't a bird talon. Any thoughts? It does 'tink' though when I set it down on a china saucer, so that is interesting. 

IMG_20180827_144249115.jpg

So I posted those photos from my phone today, then when I came home and logged on through my Chromebook I see that they are HUGE! If they came out super huge on your screen, I apologize for that, I have no idea why they loaded like that. I expected them to look more like the ecphora and moon snail photos, nice and compact. 

3 hours ago, Kimi64 said:

It isn't a fossil, as it doesn't stick to my tongue,

That is not a reliable method of determine whether it is a fossil or not.

From the looks of this piece it is a fossil.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

50 minutes ago, Kimi64 said:

I see that they are HUGE! If they came out super huge on your screen, I apologize for that,

Makes it easier to see what You want identified.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

17 hours ago, ynot said:

That is not a reliable method of determine whether it is a fossil or not.

From the looks of this piece it is a fossil.

Thank you Ynot, this one confused me. Like I said, it 'tinked' like a fossil, but didn't stick to my tongue & it is so clean, with great enamel, I wasn't sure what to make of it. 

Archived