Where can i find fossils in lousiana?

MRfossilMISTER

hi, i just joined in the forum and i would love to know where you can find fossils in Louisiana. thanks for any answers.

:trex::trilo::meg:games are fun, but finding fossil is even better!:meg::trilo::trex:

Welcome to the Forum. :) 

Fossil hunting can be like fishing - no one wants to give out their special spots. 

Your best bet would be to join a local rock/mineral/fossil club. It's a good way to meet local like minded individuals, learn what to look for and where, and to go on field trips and get access to some sites that may not allow individuals in to hunt, but will let clubs in.

This site has seriously old information that may no longer be accurate, but it is a good place to start your research.

Also, Google has some interesting links.  ;) 

Regards,

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

thanks. i do know one place i have gone too. its around the cane river. i have found some fossil coral there. not sure what type of coral it is though. hopefully i will get there ID soon.

theres a article about the place i went too. http://www.savorthedays.com/2012/12/fossil-hunting-along-interstate.html

:trex::trilo::meg:games are fun, but finding fossil is even better!:meg::trilo::trex:

Well, you know about the only place I know of :)

I havent been there yet, so it's good to know it is legit.  I have heard of some marine fossils being collected on the shoreline of the lake outside Natchitoches.  I belong to the arklatex rock club in Shreveport and almost all their field trips are out of state. Are you in Shreveport?

• I found this Informative 1

Everything is generated through your own will power ~ Ray Bradbury

the cane river? i have also heard of people finding fossils there, tho i have not gone there myself.

and for the record i don't live in shreveport.

Apparently there aren't a whole lot of accessible fossil sites in Louisiana.  You might find a couple of articles on interest in the Louisiana section of my pdf library here on TFF.  Here's a LINK.  Just scroll down to the bottom for the section on Louisiana.

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

1 hour ago, MRfossilMISTER said:

the cane river? i have also heard of people finding fossils there, tho i have not gone there myself.

and for the record i don't live in shreveport.

Lake Sibley

ah ok, can you find fossils there?

Supposedly you cane find same type you found at cane river. Never been there

I'm originally from Louisiana and if you have a car ......... I hear Texas is lovely this time of year ! 

All that snow ....

WhiteChristmas.jpg.272cfba639dc2ec372bbc594118a0bde.jpg

....and fossils .. lots of those too.

B

7 minutes ago, Brett Breakin' Rocks said:

I'm originally from Louisiana and if you have a car ......... I hear Texas is lovely this time of year ! 

All that snow ....

WhiteChristmas.jpg.272cfba639dc2ec372bbc594118a0bde.jpg

....and fossils .. lots of those too.

B

:hearty-laugh::rofl: brilliant!