Kane

5 minutes ago, Walt said:

Very nice.  And a good workout getting them out, I'm sure.

Thanks, Walt. You're definitely right about the workout part of it! We work halfway up a cliff, use picks to loosen the sticky clay overburden that has fallen to reveal the strata, shovel the overburden out, and play the game of chasing the keystone that will unlock the slabs, haul those out and set them on their side to dry and form natural cracks, and then split. Sometimes what you think is the slab that will unlock your layer is locked in by section B, which is locked in by section C, and so on, so it can quickly become a long chase to find the one that will unlock them all. :D 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Another nice haul! :wub: It's too bad those Greenops are so fragile.  I'm not sure about the Goniatites, but I see some very sweet Tornoceras.

Don

3 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

Another nice haul! :wub: It's too bad those Greenops are so fragile.  I'm not sure about the Goniatites, but I see some very sweet Tornoceras.

Don

Thanks, Don. :) They are maddeningly thin-skinned. And, yes, they are tornos (I don't know where I got in the bad habit of calling them gonis!). 

I guess you're both right. Tornoceras is a goniatite, several Tornoceras would be goniatites, and Goniatites is a genus of goniatite. It's all about the capitalization.

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Just now, Northern Sharks said:

Tornoceras is a goniatite, several Tornoceras would be goniatites, and Goniatites is a genus of goniatite. 

There is a Dr Seuss book in the making with this! :D 

6 minutes ago, Kane said:

There is a Dr Seuss book in the making with this! :D 

One goniatite, two goniatite, red goniatite, blue goniatite

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Thank you, gents. :) I do hope to squeeze in some time this semester for some prep, but I may actually show some restraint in holding off until winter - which, in Canada, can be a long, cold, drag. It may be the time to be like chipmunk or squirrel in stockpiling for said winter! :P 

Man, it must be SO gratifying pulling near complete ones of of the rocks at such a nice site!

Here we only find second hand ones in imported rocks :-) And pretty beat up too.

Archived