Another oyster question: sunny side up

BuddingPaleo

Here's my question. Pulled an oyster up, it broke in half, the other side crumbled to dust. Very sad. But the surviving side has this sunny side up egg appearance. I've looked under a magnifying glass and don't see evidence of shell edges or anything. Is it a steinkern of the innards? I've stopped cleaning it until I know what it is. If it's a sneaky shell, I'll pop it off, otherwise I'll leave it. :headscratch:Any help is appreciated!

20180721_150450.jpg

20180721_150435.jpg

If it is the larger "lump" in the photo, I would say it is the steinkern. :( 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Thanks :) I really wish the other half hadn't crumbled now! I'll leave it attached then. Much appreciated.

The raised lump looks like an internal mold of a clam and the indentation appears to be an external mold of a clam. In the first photo on the right hand side, I see a possible 3rd impression of another type shell? A closer shot might confirm.

35 minutes ago, Bronzviking said:

The raised lump looks like an internal mold of a clam and the indentation appears to be an external mold of a clam. In the first photo on the right hand side, I see a possible 3rd impression of another type shell? A closer shot might confirm.

That spot on the right is deceptive, if it's the spot that looks spiral-ish, it's just crud. 

Here's a nifty shot i just got. Maybe it tells for sure-ish if it's native to the oyster or not?

20180721_173652.jpg

Neat several impression fragments in matrix. I'm not sure of the orientation of the last photo (the thin linear forms almost seems to show some of the original shell material or perhaps just more parts of molds ) but the earlier photos seem to show internal mold fragments with a view the adductor scar and the lower hinge area...Here's an example I have of one of the Hyotissas to compare to...adductor scars are in the center of the shells and the hinge areas are at the bottom of the photo..You can see the similar concentric ring shapes in both valves and they compare nicely to yours.

13932.thumb.jpg.40d70a1c539c7d6b3bc9cfe06895be63.jpg

Regards, Chris 

• I found this Informative 2

Thanks! The last photo is a closeup of the "yolk" , or lump, from the front. 

I have tons of those around here, but the outer shell is inundated with fossil imprints lots of times. The shell is still there, just pocked with other littler shells and worms. Lots of worms! There are other kinds too, but lots of those. Helpful to know, I appreciate the explanation why, sticks in my brain that way.