Mcabee Fossils

Nrudolph

First time posting here, thought i'd share a plate of Metasequoia that I found at the Macabee site near Cache Creek BC a number of years ago.

More to follow if there's interest. 

15322190559322714150676696097174.jpg

Welcome to The Fossil Forum!  There is ALWAYS interest in seeing new fossils and those are NICE ones!  I'm looking forward to seeing more!

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

Beautiful plants!:plant::dinothumb:

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Beautiful fossils. Does anyone have Metasequoia glyptostroboides (dawn redwood) planted in their yard?  And yes please, more pics!

Everything is generated through your own will power ~ Ray Bradbury

I especially like those two branching Metasequoias... very nice. I collected at McAbee a twice in the early days and still have my collection but didn't find any branching Metas like those - just individual pinnules. I would show my collection but photoing is such a pain I never get around to it.

Too bad John Leahy (jbswake) is no longer with us, he would be able to help with IDs. Maybe @piranha would be able to help in his stead.

24 minutes ago, Walt said:

Beautiful fossils. Does anyone have Metasequoia glyptostroboides (dawn redwood) planted in their yard?  And yes please, more pics!

We used to have a Dawn Redwood at our old place - as did my grandparents down the street. Should get a new one for this place now that you mention it...

Just now, Wrangellian said:

We used to have a Dawn Redwood at our old place - as did my grandparents down the street. Should get a new one for this place now that you mention it...

We had on in washington state. The land we were on was a 5 acre lot they had carved out when Weyerhouser (sp?) Clear cut the tract. They sold it off because the soil was so poor it would take forever to reharvest. But this tree took off and was 5 feet tall in about 5 years. Remarkable trees....

Everything is generated through your own will power ~ Ray Bradbury

3 minutes ago, Jeffrey P said:

Those are beautiful specimens. Is the site you collected them still open?

Unfortunately not. It was purchased by the provincial government a number of years ago, and was given status as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Access is only granted for research purposes. 

Was it actually purchased, and is it actually a UNESCO site? I know the gov't barred it from private collecting, but hadn't heard the rest, and it is not mentioned in the wikipedia article.

2 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

Was it actually purchased, and is it actually a UNESCO site? I know the gov't barred it from private collecting, but hadn't heard the rest, and it is not mentioned in the wikipedia article.

You're correct, I was mistaken in calling it a UNESCO site. There are several conflicting articles online, but this source seems reliable:

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/industry/natural-resource-use/land-use/fossil-management/mcabee

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to the Fossil Forum form Texas.

Those are lovely. It’s nice to see new types of plant fossils of such nice quality on TFF, because they are not commonly seen. I don’t believe I have ever seen any from that location.

Thank you for sharing them with us.

Thanks for sharing your McAbee finds with us. 

Lovely finds!

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I just searched for Mcabee fossils on TFF. This is the best thread below. However, for some reason one of the significant poster’s (jbswake) pics don’t show up. He is no longer with us and maybe that has something to do with it, but it’s an amazing thread with great pics.

Anyway, you may find an ID for your leaf on the thread.

Archived