Fossil-Hound

Fossil Forum Friends,

I put some fish up for possible trading on the trades section and wise @Fossildude19 reached out to me with a possible identification as a Amphiplaga brachyptera. This species makes up less than 1% of the known fish collected in the Green River Formation. Upon closer inspection it appears to be that species or it might just be a disarticulated Knightia. I really can't tell as I'm not a fish expert. Please provide your input. If it is a A. brachyptera can someone please PM me with a quote for preparing the fish and once it's prepared I'll get it framed at Michael's craft shop in a custom frame with an identification plaque. Shouldn't be a tough prep job. The fish is small and the matrix soft I just don't want to screw it up if it is a rare one. See attached. FYI @Ptychodus04 @sseth @FossilDudeCO @RJB

5b55f84f61c5e_ScreenShot2018-07-23at9_34_19AM.png.91066b9c8ff19cef0245670d8e2d36e4.png

• I found this Informative 1

Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

One other possibility to check out with closer examination is juvenile Phareodus

Screenshot_20180723-130847_Chrome.jpg.f58093775ede98557881beb2cb0f4d28.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Even if this is Amphiplaga, then it is a bit rare, but at the same time, a specimen with some problems.  Im a picky collector and would not want this, but there are lots of fish collectors that would.  I wish I could help in the determination of the Genus and species but im only somewhat good at preperation and not very good at figuring these kinds of things.  The best  of luck man.

RB