Alabama spots: any places I should look to?

MeargleSchmeargl

With the last week of July officially upon us, I want to squeeze a last minute trip somewhere I haven't been before I get dragged back to school kicking and screaming. I've been so far looking to Alabama, with many Cretaceous and Paleocene formations everywhere it seems. I have quite a bit of interest in the Demopolis chalk, which has some dinosaurs, and also anything with good invertebrates, particularly echinoids. Anywhere I can go for a last minute blast in the past in 'bama? :D

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

Sorry I don’t know any sites in ‘Bama, but I wish you luck and nice fossils! School would be many times better if only a paleontology class was offered:)

• I found this Informative 2

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

40 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

What is your range/time allowance?  One day trip, or longer?

Don

I've got roughly 3 days, between this coming Thursday and Saturday as a rough initial time estimate.

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

12 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

School would be many times better if only a paleontology class was offered:)

You can say that again. I was told by my biology teacher last year that Paleontology should have at least limited relevance to the topic this year, which is the advanced version of last year's class. I have been bringing some of my finds to show off for some time now, and my classmates and teachers alike have always been mystified. It will be even better this year if it also has relevance to the class material! :D

• I found this Informative 1

4 hours ago, MeargleSchmeargl said:

You can say that again. I was told by my biology teacher last year that Paleontology should have at least limited relevance to the topic this year, which is the advanced version of last year's class. I have been bringing some of my finds to show off for some time now, and my classmates and teachers alike have always been mystified. It will be even better this year if it also has relevance to the class material! :D

Always good to spread some fossil awareness, also makes you look cool:D

I almost always keep a fossil on my person, just in case. If they run it, I am scheduled to take a “AP science exploration” class in Senior year which I’ve been told is basically learning how to write research papers. I’m looking forward to that ( and squeezing fossils into it somehow) and hoping they run it:fingerscrossed:

• I found this Informative 1

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason