Seal skull teeth both mandibles

Kerrsharpeyoung

the Most complete skull I’ve found to date. Both bottom mandibles seem to have all of the teeth and possibly only missing 2 premolars out of the top. Skull looks to be all there and possibly some other bones judging from some broken cross sections but who knows!  I’ll upload more photos in the comments. 

The rock is 45.5 cm long 36cm wide 

the skull measures 26cm 

I’ll continue work progress as time goes she may take a while! 

8311488F-28CB-4F1D-8D7A-0792365E0FA5.jpeg

• I found this Informative 4

Wow, amazing find! :o 

If you manage to prep this before the end of the month and enter it in FOTM it may just be the craziest month ever! :P 

Can you possibly give us any information in this? Age? Where you got it? Etc.

That’s a beauty! Gosh that concretion must way a ton, must not have been a fun walk back to the car!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

2 hours ago, RJB said:

By any chance did you save the opposing piece of rock?  Cool piece.

RB

6 hours ago, Kerrsharpeyoung said:

967BC574-EE7B-4FDB-8769-5D78EF897606.jpeg

Looks like both parts to Me.

Outstanding find!:faint::wub::yay-smiley-1:

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

10 hours ago, Foozil said:

Wow, amazing find! :o 

If you manage to prep this before the end of the month and enter it in FOTM it may just be the craziest month ever! :P 

A month? We are looking at a year hahaha It’s pretty’s big

6 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

That’s a beauty! Gosh that concretion must way a ton, must not have been a fun walk back to the car!

Yup had to relay the two half’s because I didn’t want to damage anything in my pack! And don’t worry we have pulled off bigger ones than this! 

Edited by Kerrsharpeyoung
Autocorrect
  • I found this Informative 1

8 hours ago, caldigger said:

Can you possibly give us any information in this? Age? Where you got it? Etc.

Hey so I don’t know much about it I’m pretty new to this but the species look like it could be from about 2-4 million years old and was found in the north island of New Zealand! 

If anyone has any tips of preparing this skull it would be greatly appreciated. My current plan is to leave the cranium in the rock and work it so it’s all showing up on an angle. In saying this I am mighty scared to work teeth as they just expolode :S

If you know of or can contact a local museum that has a Paleontology department.  They would probably love to see it and might offer to prep it for you.

Maybe just keep it as it is until you get prepping experience from some stuff with less scientific value....

5 minutes ago, willy said:

If you know of or can contact a local museum that has a Paleontology department.  They would probably love to see it and might offer to prep it for you.

Heck, they might even offer to store it for you indefinitely!:D

@Doctor Mud knows a good amount about this New Zealand’s Miocene

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

A picture of the site where this was pulled out of would be awesome to see.  Is it a cliff exposure along the Indian Ocean?  I under stand if you do not want to say, but you are pretty far away from most of us.

12 minutes ago, willy said:

A picture of the site where this was pulled out of would be awesome to see.  Is it a cliff exposure along the Indian Ocean?  I under stand if you do not want to say, but you are pretty far away from most of us.

Hey willy yup I’ve been working shark verts and many other things. My work is getting clean but I do not have the experience yet to approach such a complicated piece. The teeth really scare me as they are so perfect atm. 

I’d love to tell you where but the other fossickers here prefer to keep the site a secret and I can’t argue as I’m the young buck. 

If if you guys are all interested in my collection I’ll post as time goes on. I have a massive dolphin skull as well that’s going to take years to prep. Thinking I need the massive tool from paleo tools but pretty darn expensive getting the tools to nz! 

Would love to see your collection and I understand completely on sharing the location.  I would not have asked but you are in such a remote area,  I did not think it would matter.  

27 minutes ago, Kerrsharpeyoung said:

If if you guys are all interested in my collection I’ll post as time goes on. I have a massive dolphin skull as well that’s going to take years to prep

I am interested! The shark verts sound awesome, I’ve seen some basking shark verts from the area. Very different from the once we find here.

Happy hunting,

Mason

Here’s a shark very I’ve been recently working on. Another few hours to go 

D0CD70EF-E84C-446B-8004-0A6DF8223E25.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1