correction for name of nautiloid from the Georgian Bay Formation

Monica

Hello everyone, especially those to whom I have sent chunks of Georgian Bay Formation (Upper Ordovician) orthoconic nautiloids!

@JohnBrewer @minnbuckeye @WhodamanHD @VTinNorthAB @Kasia @cheney416 @David in Japan @thelivingdead531 @Tidgy's Dad @Ludwigia @joshuajbelanger

Eric, I don't think I sent you any, but just in case... @Wrangellian

@DLB - I don't think I sent you any, either, but - again - just in case... (By the way - do you need/want any more fossils for your boys?)

I think I've been spelling the name of the orthoconic nautiloid incorrectly!!!

I've been spelling it as Treptoceras crebiseptum BUT I've been omitting the "r" that's supposed to come after the "b" in the species name SO the correct spelling should be Treptoceras crebriseptum

I'm SO sorry for the error - I hope you can all forgive me :blush:

Thanks,

Monica

I am disgusted and appalled that you would make such a mistake.

:P

That’s fine, I’ve had to send people revised IDs many times prior. A letter off isn’t bad. Thanks for sending me fossils!:D

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

42 minutes ago, Monica said:

Hello everyone, especially those to whom I have sent chunks of Georgian Bay Formation (Upper Ordovician) orthoconic nautiloids!

@JohnBrewer @minnbuckeye @WhodamanHD @VTinNorthAB @Kasia @cheney416 @David in Japan @thelivingdead531 @Tidgy's Dad @Ludwigia @joshuajbelanger

(Eric, I don't think I sent you any, but just in case...) @Wrangellian

I think I've been spelling the name of the orthoconic nautiloid incorrectly!!!

I've been spelling it as Treptoceras crebiseptum BUT I've been omitting the "r" that's supposed to come after the "b" in the species name SO the correct spelling should be Treptoceras crebriseptum

I'm SO sorry for the error - I hope you can all forgive me :blush:

Thanks,

Monica

If you didn't tell me, I would never know :) that there is anything missing. Thanks for info and again - for fossils!

6 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

I'll forgive you as long as you make smoked meat sandwiches and brownies again the next time I visit you ;)

It's a deal :dinothumb:

No but I received one from @JUAN EMMANUEL and he labeled it crebiseptum as you had it before, so maybe he needs to see this too. Where did you notice the different spelling and are you sure it's reliable?

The term appears in a few academic citations as T. crebriseptum. If I recall correctly, the original designation was Hall's as Actinoceras crebriseptum.

The species name is composed of two Latin words: crebri and septum. The word crebri refers to the genitive form of creber which means "abundant, numerous, repeated" while septum means cavity or wall.

Seems a fairly apt description! :D 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

ahoy!

Thank ye Monica! Ye know I wouldna notice tat missin' R by meself.

so much R in a same word, I be in Fiddler's Green lad!

let's go t' a new adventure, cape on th' Caribbean.

~~~~~~~~~~~~〇~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Warmest greetings from Kumamoto、 Japan

14 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

No but I received one from @JUAN EMMANUEL and he labeled it crebiseptum as you had it before, so maybe he needs to see this too. Where did you notice the different spelling and are you sure it's reliable?

I initially noticed the "r" in Bill Hessin's book.  (Now, you're probably thinking I should have noticed this earlier, and you're right!  Unfortunately I didn't notice, probably because he only wrote one sentence on this species and didn't include any pictures of it (unlike the other orthoconic nautiloid species in the book), so I never noticed the write-up for Treptoceras crebriseptum. :blush:  Rest assured that it is now highlighted, though!) 

After noticing the "r" in my book, I did a little Google search and found this:

http://collections.rom.on.ca/objects/3424/nautiloid-cephalopods;jsessionid=61A6DD5DBB2B605BA80A291307093334

I then figured that if the Royal Ontario Museum has the "r" included in the species name, then that must be the correct name.:P

2 minutes ago, Monica said:

I initially noticed the "r" in Bill Hessin's book.  (Now, you're probably thinking I should have noticed this earlier, and you're right!  Unfortunately I didn't notice, probably because he only wrote one sentence on this species and didn't include any pictures of it (unlike the other orthoconic nautiloid species in the book), so I never noticed the write-up for Treptoceras crebriseptum. :blush:  Rest assured that it is now highlighted, though!) 

After noticing the "r" in my book, I did a little Google search and found this:

http://collections.rom.on.ca/objects/3424/nautiloid-cephalopods;jsessionid=61A6DD5DBB2B605BA80A291307093334

I then figured that if the Royal Ontario Museum has the "r" included in the species name, then that must be the correct name.:P

Well, to be fair, "crebRi" sounds as awkward as it is to type! And, speaking of the ROM, the great Dave Rudkin had tweeted about this species a few years ago:

rud.jpeg

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Thanks, Monica, I will tear up my old id card and label forthwith and rewrite them with the correct information. 

Or use some liquid paper. 

Or just squeeze the 'r' in. 

I'm very fond of my one, thank you! :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Well I guess you can't argue with those sources - or the original Latin (hard to pronounce or otherwise).

11 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

I'm very fond of my one, thank you! :)

Glad to hear that :)

Archived