Albian Vertebrates

erose

A few years back I was collecting in the Lower Member of the Glen Rose Formation. That's lower Albian in age. The sediments are shallow marine limestones and clays. Shark and other types of fish teeth are not common but do show up. I also have various bits of turtle bone.  Attached are two pictures showing some of the more common teeth which I have references for and will be able to identify with no problem. With them is a small vertebra and that is what I want some help with. 

I look forward to your responses.

DSCN5948.jpg

DSCN5946.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

Gee, lots of views but otherwise crickets...

Spent some time in Fruitbat’s PDF library and found my answer: turtle. I have plenty of other turtle scraps from another location at the same level so not surprising. 

8 hours ago, ynot said:

Got no idea about the vert. Maybe pictures from different angles would help get some more responses.

Like the ptychodus teeth.

Fairly certain now the bone is from a turtle.  Plenty of other turtle material from the same member nearby.

The jaw plate is from a bonyfish, a Pycnodontid, not Ptychodus. Ptychodus come later in younger strata and are sharks. I believe it is Paramicrodon estesi Thurmond, 1974.

The other tooth is tentatively identified as ?Lepisosteus sp. (alternate ID: Pachyamia sp.)

• I found this Informative 1

Somehow I missed this post. Apparently a lot of people did. Great fossils! I always like to see Texas lower K vertebrate material, since it is much less common than Texas upper K vertebrate material. If you have any more I would love to see it. 

Marine.  

• I found this Informative 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

7 hours ago, jpc said:

marine would rule out Lepisosteus, would it not?  

Probably. Need more references for Pachyamia which is known from younger upper Albian strata in Texas.