Imprint id needed please

Wrenchchik

I found this among hundreds of other random sea fossils (that i have not identified yet) on this piece.  I would like to know what the flat imprint is of if anyone knows? 

20180724_225606.jpg

Trace fossils (perhaps sponge borings) in a inarticulate brachiopod likely lingulid.

Edit: If it's from KS it may be an inoceramid. Missed that at first.

They have an Inoceramus clam look to me. The matrix has a marine Carboniferous look to it though. What period is it from? Inoceramids are only from the Cretaceous as far as I know.

The lines look like ichno fossils, like worm burrows.

This is a nice little educational piece on a few of the common ichno or trace fossils.

http://pages.geo.wvu.edu/~kammer/g231/TraceFossils.pdf

TraceFossils.pdf

Pages (slide) 3, 6 and especially 7 are very informative.

If you’re still learning formations and periods there are a couple phone apps that I use. Mancos is one. I think it is maybe $2.00, but I think it is iPhone specific. Mancos also has a website. The app will tell you the geologic period of a place anywhere in the world and it will give you the general formation.

Rockd is another. It’s free, but it only tells you the formation you are currently in. However one plus for it is that it will often give more specific (sub)formations or members of a formation than Mancos does.

I have found both apps very helpful.

There may be other apps, but those are the 2 I use.

• I found this Informative 1

I have a lot of inoceramids found in Kansas.   (Where im located)   that wouldnt be far fetched.    Here is front and back of matrix...      i wish i could show how gorgeous the drusy is!  

20180726_212059.jpg