Is this a favosite?

copacetic

I honestly can't say where this fossil came from. As a natural collector of many different things, there are lots of odd items in my house. Since my 7 year old has some interest in fossils and rocks, I've gathered up what I had and put it with her playground finds.

In trying to ID our finds, I assumed this was a favosite, but it's not exactly like most pictured on the internet. The tabulae (? the divisions in each tube) aren't very evenly spaced, nor are they flat. The first view seems to show unusual little compartments with tiny openings, but I think the wearing of the fossil is responsible for that appearance. I always took the first view as being the top, but now I wonder if it's the bottom? It would make more sense to me if the floors of each compartment were concave instead of convex. 

So what say ye, Fossil Forum? 

Pictures are top, side, bottom, other side

DSC06100-web.jpg

DSC06101-web.jpg

DSC06102-web.jpg

DSC06103-web.jpg

Wow! That's an interesting piece. Definitely has that coral colony look to it but I agree it does look rather "free form" in its structure. I wonder if this piece was subject to distortions during the process of fossilization? Beautiful piece.

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 1

Looks like a possible Foerstephyllum sp.

Foerstiphyllum 2.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

11 hours ago, Herb said:

Looks like a possible Foerstephyllum sp.

I looked that up and found this picture: foerstephyllum_sp.jpg

I think you might be right! The tabulae don't seem as concave as mine, but it's hard to tell. It's interesting to me how chaotic it looks on the inside while having a pretty regular honeycomb appearance on the outside.