Brassfield Fm. - Early Silurian - Ohio

Peat Burns

1 hour ago, TNGray said:

For better Silurian in Ohio, try the quarry in Whitehouse, near Toledo. Nothing to write home about but better than the Oakes Quarry stuff I have found.

http://nautiloid.net/fossils/sites/whitehouse/whitehouse.html

Thanks.  It appears to be Devonian Dundee Limestone, and unfortunately it appears that fossil collecting is not allowed according to this webpage :(

Nona France

• I found this Informative 2

Peat, Your post is incorrect. That is a different place. Did you look at my link? I am also puzzled by your statement about Paulding being the closest place to hunt fossils. Sylvania is closer to Michigan. 

1 hour ago, TNGray said:

Peat, Your post is incorrect. That is a different place. Did you look at my link? I am also puzzled by your statement about Paulding being the closest place to hunt fossils. Sylvania is closer to Michigan. 

Don't see how it is two different places. But, sure enough, at the end of that article in the link Peat included it states that fossil collecting is not allowed in any of the Metroparks. Could be a new policy or you were just lucky. 

But I think Peat's correct unless there are two different quarries or only part of it is in the park.. 

• I found this Informative 2

Peat is correct. The fossils are in the parking lot and the gravels along the edge of the old quarry where the words "Nona France Park & Quarry" are seen on this map.  In my experience, no one has ever quibbled about picking up gravel from a parking lot. I guess that makes me an outlaw man.

5b61e9786e60d_Screenshot2018-08-0110_09_07.thumb.jpeg.64b1b4815dae4b3a5688bbd7ac7d87a5.jpeg

2 hours ago, TNGray said:

Please don't take offense, I was very excited about the prospect of another fossil site near me and appreciate the info!  But based on my interpretation of the link i posted, collecting isn't allowed, and I just can't violate that rule.  If you can verify that I am incorrect in my understanding, please let me know!

I did look at your website. It's very informative. Thanks for the link. :)

The Sylvania Fossil Park is just a little bit further away from me than Paulding, but I never really consider it because, from my experience, it's a couple of small piles that have been trampled by kids and therefore not of much use to me.

Peat,

The Sylvania localities that I have on my website are not posted with signage of any kind. the Fossil Park is a disgrace. The piles are never refreshed so the kids never find anything. Nice thought, but poor implementation.

• I found this Informative 1

40 minutes ago, TNGray said:

the Fossil Park is a disgrace. The piles are never refreshed so the kids never find anything. Nice thought, but poor implementation.

Yeah, that's a shame.  I love the Sylvania deposit, too.  It's the only place I've collected that has the Paraspirifer bownockeri.  Huge ones and abundant. And big calyxes of Arthroacantha carpenteri were not uncommon.