Stumpin', On A Lazy Afternoon

Guest Smilodon

Well I was gonna guess but then I seen that Nate had posted and then I wasn't but I figured what the heck. It looks like 3 teeth on a jaw section and I'm gonna guess maybe a type of Rhino?

Guest Smilodon

uhhhhhhhhh, need a clue or two

The reason I didn't give any clues is that anything I thought of would give it away. Buuuut, how about this - exceedingly rare, may be the rarest fossil form of a common animal, and only described in 1982.

That should give it away hehehe :rolleyes:

Guest Smilodon

Kangaroo or manatee.

Ron,

I have to ask. Is there some reason you included those two together? They are wrong, but manatees and kangaroos are actually connected in the most incredible way. I'll explain someday if you don't already know.

Ron,

I have to ask. Is there some reason you included those two together? They are wrong, but manatees and kangaroos are actually connected in the most incredible way. I'll explain someday if you don't already know.

From your cited site. I'd love to know more!

Guest Smilodon

Duh! That's so funny, I forgot the kangaroo jaw was on my website! :blush: I was going to use it as a stumper someday.

Me too! :)

The tooth looks like badland material. I am going to guess calicathere, even though I have never seen what one of their teeth look like. :D

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

Guest Smilodon

You give me the beast, (maybe) the location, and I'll give you the story.

----------------------------------------

Ok, so I pm'ed an attaboy to Prehistoric Florida, earlier today, but I have ordered up two extra ones for Gatorman and Cris. All three of you were close enough for hand grenades.

Yes, it is a horsie, but not any old nag. As best as I can tell, this genus of horse may be the rarest ever found. After all, it was only described in 1982 from China. To date, I am the only person who has found a specimen in the western hemisphere.

Yes, it was a number of years ago that I found this partial (upper) jaw in Arizona ... .... .....................Just outside the city limits of Tucson ..................on North Oracle Street......................Ramada Inn, Rm 220................... in a box of about 200 partial jaws from China. There's more to the story, but why beat a dead horse. Get it? Dead horse ............ nevermind.

Sinohippus is described as a giant horse (I'm thinking Clydesdale or bigger) that was an upland browser - it ate leaves, not grass - it had to live in or near forests. There have only been a handful of fossils found because most of China, at the time, didn't support the horse's diet. Not too long ago a few fossils were found in Europe.

So there you have it.

I always learn a lot from these stumper topics... Very interesting find and an excellent topic.

For more information on Sinohippus (from Europe), download the PDF here.

youtube-logo-png-46031.png

A browsing horse; veeeeery cool!

What about the manatee/kangaroo connection?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Guest Smilodon

A browsing horse; veeeeery cool!

What about the manatee/kangaroo connection?

I thought I'd move the manaroo connection over to general discussion.

You give me the beast, (maybe) the location, and I'll give you the story.

----------------------------------------

Ok, so I pm'ed an attaboy to Prehistoric Florida, earlier today, but I have ordered up two extra ones for Gatorman and Cris. All three of you were close enough for hand grenades.

Yes, it is a horsie, but not any old nag. As best as I can tell, this genus of horse may be the rarest ever found. After all, it was only described in 1982 from China. To date, I am the only person who has found a specimen in the western hemisphere.

Yes, it was a number of years ago that I found this partial (upper) jaw in Arizona ... .... .....................Just outside the city limits of Tucson ..................on North Oracle Street......................Ramada Inn, Rm 220................... in a box of about 200 partial jaws from China. There's more to the story, but why beat a dead horse. Get it? Dead horse ............ nevermind.

Sinohippus is described as a giant horse (I'm thinking Clydesdale or bigger) that was an upland browser - it ate leaves, not grass - it had to live in or near forests. There have only been a handful of fossils found because most of China, at the time, didn't support the horse's diet. Not too long ago a few fossils were found in Europe.

So there you have it.

Smilodon,

I'm late again but I would have guessed Anchitherium because I have seen smaller teeth like that from Florida and Spain. That is a great specimen because it comes from an older layer than the Late Miocene "Chilotherium-Machairodus-Percrocuta" layer (I'm calling it that here because I don't know if it has a name. I have seen very few fossils from that older layer (just a couple of Hemicyon-like teeth, a smaller horse tooth that may be Anchitherium, and some bone pieces) and none in the past 5-6 years.

You definitely have an eye for the oddball stuff.