A few finds from Cowra, Australia

izak_

Hi Folks,

A couple of weeks ago we went on a 5 day trip around NSW to find a few different fossils which I'll post another day, but here are some of our best finds from near Cowra, NSW Australia. 

So in a nutshell, there's a quarry near Cowra that was quarried to be used as road base in the area, and thats how these specimens were found. You can find blocks of the stuff on the side of the road if you're lucky. Since you can't get into the quarry nowadays because the owner has pretty much lost the plot this is the only way to collect material. 

#1 Cowralepis mclachlani. This is one of a few species of fish at the site and is by far the most common. We have never found any other species there.

IMG_1822.thumb.JPG.34c27cda8862e064b48a36cf996a15bc.JPGIMG_1823.thumb.JPG.1afc96022ca528fbf41bf2d79678be78.JPGIMG_1824.thumb.JPG.7669e1776a8eb682492d36a4598e7a87.JPG

Continued...

• I found this Informative 7

Sorry about the horrible pics as always, I couldn't take good photos to save my life!

Unidentified primitive plant. Almost forgot to mention, these fossils are from the Mid Devonian.

5b5989c77c6cd_ScreenShot2018-07-26at6_42_20pm.png.1a209d0633ce252b969c6650626b6dfb.png

And a couple more Cowralepis: 

5b5989f968af8_ScreenShot2018-07-26at6_42_33pm.png.59dfca95c81bfbb6a2288a9324989c07.png

5b5989fdcd888_ScreenShot2018-07-26at6_42_45pm.thumb.png.177d8be51d125f3c83b3bc35610af2db.png

Hope you guys enjoyed seeing some placoderms, this group of fish deserves some more attention for sure.

• I found this Informative 7

Wow! 

Those fish are stunning! :wub:

Nice finds and thanks so much for sharing this with us. 

• I found this Informative 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Outstanding, the top placoderm is spectacular,  congrat on those finds.   Know nothing about this critter is that size typical?  The pereservation is also super typical for the site.

Nice finds mate! Fish like that are quite hard to find in Victoria. :) Shame the quarry owner won't let anyone in anymore :wacko:

1 minute ago, Troodon said:

Outstanding, the top placoderm is spectacular,  congrat on those finds.   Know nothing about this critter is that size typical?  The pereservation is also super typical for the site.

Thanks @Troodon! From what I've seen the sizes of these specimens are typical, smaller ones are also common however. 

And thanks @Tidgy's Dad and @DanKurek - Yeah they're hard to find anywhere to be honest. Some nice stuff has been found in Vic though :) 

• I found this Informative 3

Just now, Troodon said:

How much prep work, if any, was needed on this specimens.

Here's the first specimen before prep:

IMG_1821.thumb.JPG.78e8eddc9905352766359f6042f44e43.JPG

Generally not much prep is needed (the above specimen is an exception) for these but a little bit of tidying up around the edges is needed if you know what I mean  :) 

• I found this Informative 3

These are incredible fish, Izak! 

Nice prepwork, as well. 

Was this done with a pin vise, or with an airscribe or engraver? 

Was the matrix difficult to work with? It looks to be on the softer side. 

Excellent report and finds. :) 

Thanks for showing us. 

• I found this Informative 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

3 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

These are incredible fish, Izak! 

Nice prepwork, as well. 

Was this done with a pin vise, or with an airscribe or engraver? 

Was the matrix difficult to work with? It looks to be on the softer side. 

Excellent report and finds. :) 

Thanks for showing us. 

Thank you, Tim! The matrix is great to work with. Was prepped with an air scribe :) 

6 minutes ago, Bone guy said:

Goofy lookin things, I love them! :D 

Sure the jawless ones are, but have you seen arthrodires like Dunkelosteus terrelli?? :faint:

• I found this Informative 2

2 hours ago, Foozil said:

Sorry about the horrible pics as always, I couldn't take good photos to save my life!

I'm in the same boat buddy! 

I get so envious of all the great pictures people take.  

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Magnificent placoderms! Rare beasts indeed, and yours are beautiful! You say you think the one is a male, are the tail attachments claspers?

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Simply incredible! And not the same old stuff we always see on the Forum. Definitely submit this for Fossil of the Month - you got my vote already!

I'll add my kudos on the placoderm discovery and prep!  I've always had a soft spot in my heart for the jawless fishes...even though I've never found one!

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

Now I'd like to have one of these medieval fishies for myself! Only problem is where to get my hands on one. :)

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

That first fish is magnificent. Big congratulations on a spectacular find and thanks for sharing it.

Thanks, everyone! 

8 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

Magnificent placoderms! Rare beasts indeed, and yours are beautiful! You say you think the one is a male, are the tail attachments claspers?

They sure are :)