Show us your rarest shark’s teeth!

Miocene_Mason

Hello everyone,

Haven't seen enough of these “show us” threads lately, and I don’t want to walk to a museum, so I started this thread! I want to see the rarest shark teeth in your collection! It doesn’t have to be self collected, just have to have it. Please include a photo or a few and a measurement or a scale and a description. I’m expecting great things out of this thread!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

My Rarest:

A double cusped Trigonotodus alteri, I have only heard of a few in existence. It’s from Summerville, so probably Oligocene. 1.1 inch slant height, a moderate size for a giant thresher. A bit worn, but that’s okay. Bought from @Sharks of SC

B0A1FF8A-0A28-4906-BB6A-E9B1F65E19D0.jpeg

94F625D7-3F87-4A66-8A6E-5C34E009E3B6.jpeg

• I found this Informative 3

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Aurora, Parotodus Benedenii. Self collected. 

869C3548-B98F-4810-B249-A304BCB52FD7.png

2D4EF3A7-9607-474D-AA97-3D52ED9C5DC8.png

• I found this Informative 5

"If you choose not to decide. You still have made a choice." - Rush

Nice @Past Hunter! Perfect and rare tooth! 

• I found this Informative 2

Happy hunting,

Mason

Happy to contribute to this topic.  Have a few I can add but let me begin with this specimen.

One of my rarest shark tooth/teeth specimens is associated with a partial shark skeleton.

Hexanchus gracilis with 13 visible teeth 12cm from the Cretaceous of Lebanon

5b59f14ddac8e_Hgracilis1.thumb.jpg.2fad23a1035fbb6c81f63a57ceb602ef.jpg

5b59f10b1500f_Hgracilis1B.thumb.jpg.a77ac029ff005dcd6bcafabb8bb448d0.jpgH.thumb.jpg.494ef46db3284ae342e3f4bf73dbfb3f.jpg

• I found this Informative 11

1 minute ago, Troodon said:

Happy to contribute to this topic.  Have a few I can add but let me begin with this specimen.

One of my rarest shark tooth/teeth specimens is associated with a partial shark skeleton.

Hexanchus gracilis with 13 visible teeth 12cm from the Cretaceous of Lebanon

Now that is cool. I've seen Lebanese sharks, can't say I've seen many with visible teeth. Nice one. 

Wow @Troodon! That is a true rarity! People who have a single cow shark tooth are happy, that’s a whole new level!

Happy hunting,

Mason

Heres my current favorite/rarest shark tooth in my collection: Carcharocles megalodon. It's a good 4 inches length, heavily mineralized, has a real weight to it. Plus it's my first meg! :D 

IMG_1075.JPG

IMG_1076.JPG

@Bone guy nice sized meg:meg: 

• I found this Informative 1

Happy hunting,

Mason

I think this must be my rarest tooth... A parasymphyseal Parotodus benedeni that I found myself while digging in Antwerp (Belgium). 

500A9D73-B498-4AFE-86A3-0485BB0D8D21.jpeg

57B9CAE2-34AB-4E47-AFB5-A5265535A7C7.jpeg

5FE520B0-47F5-471C-8941-0EAD51F4503F.jpeg

C0514A3D-8A4C-49FF-8D83-050E8D4C7F9D.jpeg

• I found this Informative 7

10 minutes ago, CharlotteG said:

parasymphyseal Parotodus benedeni that I found myself while digging in Antwerp (Belgium). 

Probably not many of those in the world! I gotta find a P. benedeni someday.

Happy hunting,

Mason

Mine would have to be a combination of these 3

hexanchus colinsonae symphyseal from muddy creek

chtMde.jpg

trigonotodus serratus from VA

5SPivM.jpg

Cretoxyrhina mantelli from Kansas chalk

cPamBq.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

Very nice @Woopaul5! The T. serratus is a beautiful rarity, and the awesome cow shark Symph from a destroyed site is as well.

Happy hunting,

Mason

1 hour ago, WhodamanHD said:

Very nice @Woopaul5! The T. serratus is a beautiful rarity, and the awesome cow shark Symph from a destroyed site is as well.

Thanks! Got into this hobby too late. Missed a lot of the good sites to collect from. 

My rarest: none other than my big ol' meg:

IMG_20180328_230304.thumb.jpg.e469a25b2d02fab8070549dda37d0606.jpg

IMG_20180328_230315.thumb.jpg.6e7eb5d1dacb6ce5dce6cc950f292ed5.jpg

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

@MeargleSchmeargl awesome meg, love the color!

Happy hunting,

Mason

Just now, WhodamanHD said:

@MeargleSchmeargl awesome meg, love the color!

What's even cooler is that it was my first meg ever! :D

The same day I found a second, but it was a crunched one.

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

2 minutes ago, MeargleSchmeargl said:

What's even cooler is that it was my first meg ever! :D

The same day I found a second, but it was a crunched one.

Nice! Better than my best meg to date...

A60ECA5D-F5DB-4D40-AEFC-70CC7A851D07.jpeg

• I found this Informative 2

Happy hunting,

Mason

Here is another one of my rare teeth, a Notorhyncus cepedianus Symphyseal that I found at brownies beach, MD. Miocene, Calvert FM. 1/2 inch

image.jpg

image.jpg

• I found this Informative 6

Happy hunting,

Mason

13 minutes ago, Woopaul5 said:

Beautiful tooth! Looks to be a male shark

Thanks! How does one deduce that from a symph?

Happy hunting,

Mason

24 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

Thanks! How does one deduce that from a symph?

Usually a male will have a “middle finger” like appearance like...

SCtaCk.jpg

and females will have a “v” like...

ZWxKZc.jpg

• I found this Informative 5

Thanks for the information @Woopaul5! Amazing gender can be determined this way. Thanks again!

Happy hunting,

Mason

Here you go. 

I found them at London clay,  Isle of Sheppy , Kent. not 100% on ID as I don't know shark teeth at all but they are quite nice.

Notorynchus Serratissimus 

CFCC8362-C70A-4130-87E1-C96655F5AD23.jpeg

6B570F72-AA3A-4281-A469-3A4B8E0BDDF2.jpeg

079114D4-CF23-409C-8AF0-2AA584FFE424.jpeg