Show us your rarest shark’s teeth!

Miocene_Mason

35 minutes ago, Untitled said:

Here is one of my most rare teeth I currently have; a pathological Paraisurus tooth from Texas

Nice! Feel bad for the poor critter, must have been a bad toothache!

• I found this Informative 1

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

1 hour ago, WhodamanHD said:

Nice! Feel bad for the poor critter, must have been a bad toothache!

Thank you!  Yea, pathologies must not be fun for the shark, especially when feeding haha

Xenacanthus texensis, the tooth is approx. 3/4" in its longest aspect. It is accompanied by a small Edaphosaurus tooth.

Lower Permian

Ryan Formation 

Jefferson Co., Oklahoma

DSCN3071ac.thumb.jpg.2a6b255a9386e49d2d7967beb1f72332.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Some of the first ever Orthacanthus teeth to be found in north-central Illinois.

20180818_212137.thumb.jpg.927e64d2c46fffa6dfe8d2ccbb76a3e7.jpg

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

@snolly50 a very rare a interesting association piece! Thanks for sharing!

@fossilized6s

Extremely rare! Very nice!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

On 9/2/2018 at 1:03 PM, Untitled said:

Thank you!  Yea, pathologies must not be fun for the shark, especially when feeding haha

It's a very interesting tooth.  What size is it and where in Texas was it found?

On 9/3/2018 at 10:29 AM, Natalie81 said:

Here is one of mine. A Hexanchus microdon found at Cap Blanc Nez, France. Cretaceous, Cenomanian 

received_1584176638395913.jpeg

Yes, any Cretaceous hexanchid is a rarity.  I'm not sure I've seen one from that site before.  Great specimen.

37 minutes ago, siteseer said:

It's a very interesting tooth.  What size is it and where in Texas was it found?

Thank you!  It's a smaller one (approx. 5/8" of an inch), and I'm pretty sure it was found in Waco, Texas.

1 hour ago, Untitled said:

Thank you!  It's a smaller one (approx. 5/8" of an inch), and I'm pretty sure it was found in Waco, Texas.

I think it could be a Cretoxyrhina parasymphyseal though it seems big for that.  It has the broad neck what appears to be a prominent lingual protuberance of a Cretoxyrhina.  It doesn't have the vertical folds of a Cretodus.  Someone might say it could be a pathological Cretalamna but what jaw position?  The root doesn't look right for Paraisurus.

5 hours ago, siteseer said:

I think it could be a Cretoxyrhina parasymphyseal though it seems big for that.  It has the broad neck what appears to be a prominent lingual protuberance of a Cretoxyrhina.  It doesn't have the vertical folds of a Cretodus.  Someone might say it could be a pathological Cretalamna but what jaw position?  The root doesn't look right for Paraisurus.

This definitely is a strange tooth.  I don’t think it is the right shape to be a Cretolamna, and I was also thinking cretoxyrhina parasymphyseal, though it still doesn’t seeem like a complete fit.  My reasoning for the paraisurus id is its largely elongated root lobes and thick center of the root.  It is such an odd tooth, and doesn’t quite fit a classic paraisurus either, and I’m open to more thoughts on its id! Here’s another picture to help

7DB69A6D-9816-41EB-9C5E-0C57A0027429.jpeg

On 9/9/2018 at 3:58 AM, siteseer said:

Can you give us a profile view so we can more easily see the labiolingual dimension?

Here's a bunch of different views to help get a better id.  Sorry for the poor lighting on a few of them but this should help get much better visuals of the tooth

IMG_1393.JPG

IMG_1400.JPG

IMG_1403.JPG

IMG_1394.JPG

IMG_1398.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Even though it is a partial, my newest find is probably one of the rarest ones in my collection (1st find of this species in 8 years of collecting at that location). It is a Paraorthacodus sp. tooth from the Eocene (!!!) of Kyiv clay, Ukraine. 

For those who are not familiar with this genus (Paraorthacodus seems to be less common in NA than in Europe), it belongs to a currently extinct order Synechodontiformes which is known at least from the Triassic. Most of them died out in the Cretaceous, in Paleocene relict Eychalodus and Paraorthacodus eocaenus still can be found, but I have never seen Eocene specimens, and mine is pretty big for this genus! Obvious question is - well, isn't P. eocaenus called eocaenus for a reason? Apparently not. It seems that Leriche, 1902 described it from Paleocene of Belgium.

If anybody knows of such examples in the literature or private collections please let me know :) 

paraorth_EOCENE.thumb.jpg.dfbcc27c1cd29f829b099b76a86473aa.jpg

And an example of P. recurvus from Albian (Early Cretaceous) of Ukraine

paraorthac.thumb.jpg.3564c06bc0b3d321df3148d0ac83416a.jpg

The Tooth Fairy

4 minutes ago, Anomotodon said:

Obvious question is - well, isn't P. eocaenus called eocaenus for a reason? Apparently not. It seems that Leriche, 1902 described it from Paleocene of Belgium.

The term “Paleocene” didn’t come into wide use till after the 1920s, and may have been originally intended to be Pal-Eocene (old eocene, or early eocene) so most called considered that epoch part of the Eocene during that time period.

Happy hunting,

Mason

7 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

The term “Paleocene” didn’t come into wide use till after the 1920s, and may have been originally intended to be Pal-Eocene (old eocene, or early eocene) so most called considered that epoch part of the Eocene during that time period.

Thanks, didn't know that, although, Leriche's 1902 publication is called Les poissons paléocènes de la Belgique

The Tooth Fairy

34 minutes ago, Anomotodon said:

Thanks, didn't know that, although, Leriche's 1902 publication is called Les poissons paléocènes de la Belgique

Hmm, if he was using it then I don’t know why he’d name it that. Strange. 

Here is my source for my previous statement btw.

Happy hunting,

Mason

Hexanchus microdon from the himenoura formation, late cretaceous, santonian of japan.

Only found 2 hexanchus tooth and this is the only one almost complete so pretty rare for me.

FB_IMG_1545194221596.thumb.jpg.1eb54a91e6cee6413927d39f455f95cc.jpg

~~~~~~~~~~~~〇~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Warmest greetings from Kumamoto、 Japan

This one is also very cool.

Ptychodus mamillaris from the same formation. It is the only one i have found. It is difficult to see all the details because the tooth is dark but it has some wear trace on the top which makes it even more special.

FB_IMG_1545195484419.thumb.jpg.caef70b9530fe463efb554ab7afbc77f.jpg

FB_IMG_1545195477627.thumb.jpg.a7fb684b63f0ad65b4fb3a78ccd23f22.jpg

~~~~~~~~~~~~〇~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Warmest greetings from Kumamoto、 Japan

On December 18, 2018 at 4:32 PM, WhodamanHD said:

The term "Paleocene" was proposed in 1874 - just not formally accepted in the United States until 1939.  The term came from an observation that the "Lower Eocene" fossil plants from the Paris Basin were different enough from those of the later Eocene to warrant a separate time unit.  "Paleocene" became more relevant to the mollusks and mammals of that time as more fossils of both those groups became more commonly found and better-documented after 1939.

• I found this Informative 3

On 9/2/2018 at 8:11 PM, Untitled said:

Here is one of my rarest teeth I currently have; a pathological Paraisurus tooth from Texas

Nice tooth! :)

Very interesting pathology.

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

On 9/3/2018 at 7:29 PM, Natalie81 said:

Here is one of mine. A Hexanchus microdon found at Cap Blanc Nez, France. Cretaceous, Cenomanian 

Great find! :)

I always love the colour contrast between the teeth and the chalk. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png