Dinosaur Eggshell Find in Hell Creek

Troodon

David Evans and crew from the ROM have been collecting in the Hell Creek of Montana instead of their usual Judith River localities. They have not reported finding much but today's Twitter feed David posted these pictures and commented "We found dinosaur eggshell today! It’s a rarity for the Hell Creek Formation. Thanks to Wendy Sloboda for her expert help finding it.". 

Have never been lucky enough to find any and like David indicated they are pretty rare in the HC. 

@-Andy- @HamptonsDoc @CBchiefski hazard a guess what type they are?

DjCM3eZV4AArUAV.thumb.jpeg.391e3757d6decf49c567a161dda66d0b.jpegDjCM3mGUcAECkmp.thumb.jpeg.09938a7663cb8d53816d7ce62d852fb8.jpeg

• I found this Informative 9

Leftmost eggshell reminds me of Cairanoolithus, which is thought to have belonged to an Ankylosaur-type dinosaur.

Cairanoolithus_1.thumb.JPG.41f2a13238afd1a150eef17f2a2981b7.JPG

• I found this Informative 6

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

8 minutes ago, -Andy- said:

Leftmost eggshell reminds me of Cairanoolithus, which is thought to have belonged to an Ankylosaur-type dinosaur.

Being as smooth as they are I think that's a good call.  Not sure what other type of eggs have been found

3 hours ago, -Andy- said:

You beat me to it, that would be my guess too!

• I found this Informative 2

6 hours ago, HamptonsDoc said:

You beat me to it, that would be my guess too!

Time for us to look for Hell Creek eggshells too!

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

27 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Have you guys seen any for sale that were the real

@-Andy- @HamptonsDoc

I saw 3 supposed Hell Creek eggshells over the years.

One was bundled in a set of 7 other fossils that I didn't need. The whole set cost around $150 so I calculate the Hell Creek eggshell to cost roughly $90.

Another time on eBay, I saw one on sale for $100 or something.

Larry Martin found one once but had sold it already. I messaged the buyer but he didn't want to sell it. It looked real.

42 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Have you guys seen any for sale that were the real

@-Andy- @HamptonsDoc

I have not run into any but will be sure to keep an eye out for any full eggs!

13 hours ago, Troodon said:

David Evans and crew from the ROM have been collecting in the Hell Creek of Montana instead of their usual Judith River localities. They have not reported finding much but today's Twitter feed David posted these pictures and commented "We found dinosaur eggshell today! It’s a rarity for the Hell Creek Formation. Thanks to Wendy Sloboda for her expert help finding it.". 

Have never been lucky enough to find any and like David indicated they are pretty rare in the HC. 

@-Andy- @HamptonsDoc @CBchiefski hazard a guess what type they are?

DjCM3eZV4AArUAV.thumb.jpeg.391e3757d6decf49c567a161dda66d0b.jpegDjCM3mGUcAECkmp.thumb.jpeg.09938a7663cb8d53816d7ce62d852fb8.jpeg

Indeed, hopefully some of his crew will be at the Dino Shindig this weekend so I can ask more about it directly. Eggshell fragments from the Hell Creek are so rare, and so makes any such a remarkable little find.

12 hours ago, -Andy- said:

12 hours ago, Troodon said:

Being as smooth as they are I think that's a good call.  Not sure what other type of eggs have been found

The texture is similar, but Cairanoolithus is not known to the Hell Creek, so it might be either a new occurrence of Cairanoolithus or could be a new ootaxan. It does remind me of Krokolithes, which is found in the Hell Creek, however not one I have seen in person so cannot be too confident.

3 hours ago, -Andy- said:

Time for us to look for Hell Creek eggshells too!

Indeed, let me know if you do find any since so few have thus far been found.

• I found this Informative 5