Future Fossil Hunt on Zakynthos and Kefalonia

Jacob L

Hello all, I am currently on Holiday in Greece and then on the islands Zakynthos and Kefalonia. I was wondering if anyone knows if there are things to find here. I searched on the internet but only found that there are some fossils on the top of the highest mountain in Kefalonia. But that is closed at this time in summer to prevent forest fires. Anyone else knows any locations?

Jacob    raptor-hatching-more-brilliant-jw-fan-art-including-this-amazing-portrait-of-of-raptor-hatching.thumb.jpg.6b62cfe354d42f447e7eb29633142690.jpg   

"God creates dinosaurs, God destroys dinosaurs. God creates Man, Man destroys god. Man creates dinosaurs."

- Dr. Ian Malcolm

Apparently, the Ionian Islands are hit-and-miss as far as fossils are concerned.  I found a couple of references to Miocene through Pleistocene deposits on Zakynthos Island, a few references to dinoflagellate and ostracod nanofossils and one mention of rudists being found there.  There are a couple of references to Zakynthos Island in the Greece section of my pdf library here on TFF but I'm not sure how helpful they'll be.  Here's a LINK to that section.

Good luck and enjoy the scenery!  I'm jealous!

-Joe

• I found this Informative 1

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

Very

6 hours ago, Fruitbat said:

Apparently, the Ionian Islands are hit-and-miss as far as fossils are concerned.  I found a couple of references to Miocene through Pleistocene deposits on Zakynthos Island, a few references to dinoflagellate and ostracod nanofossils and one mention of rudists being found there.  There are a couple of references to Zakynthos Island in the Greece section of my pdf library here on TFF but I'm not sure how helpful they'll be.  Here's a LINK to that section.

Good luck and enjoy the scenery!  I'm jealous!

-Joe

Very helpful! Thanks!

Jacob    raptor-hatching-more-brilliant-jw-fan-art-including-this-amazing-portrait-of-of-raptor-hatching.thumb.jpg.6b62cfe354d42f447e7eb29633142690.jpg   

"God creates dinosaurs, God destroys dinosaurs. God creates Man, Man destroys god. Man creates dinosaurs."

- Dr. Ian Malcolm