What kind of Shark tooth?

Kelli47

We went to a "fossil dig" at our parks and rec center today. They had ordered a fossil kit from the Aurora Fossil Museum in Eastern North Carolina. My son found this partial large tooth. Can you tell me which kind IMG_3927.thumb.JPG.e5b36a22c30ec172e02ec246a82e207e.JPGof shark you think it came from?

I would say it’s probably in the genuses Carcharocles (Otodus), Isurus, or Carcharodon

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

The fossil kit was just a box of rocks and dirt. I believe it's the same stuff they have at their fossil pits at the museum that is from the neighboring Nutrien Phosphate Mine.

The main museum houses a wide variety of Miocene and Pliocene marine fossils with most displays showcasing specimens collected from the neighboring Nutrien Phosphate Mine (formerly known as Texas Gulf Sulfur, PCS Phosphate, PotashCorp). Featured in our shark hall are the remnants of the terror of the Miocene-Pliocene seas, C. megalodon! 

Directly across the street from the main museum is our Fossil Park. Within the park are our own fossil pits, affectionately dubbed the "Pits of the Pungo". These pits, consisting of fossiliferous material donated by the neighboring Nutrien Phosphate plant, offer visitors the opportunity to search and discover their very own Miocene age fossils! In these fossiliferous pits, one may discover the remains of ancient sharks, whales, bony fish, and coral just to name a few.

Unidentifiable bone chunks, we call’em Chunkosauruses. They could be any from any vertebrate living at the time, cetaceans being more common.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

For the shark tooth, there seems to be quite some protuberance on the lingual side of the root and the crown seems to have been longer if reconstructed. The labial side also appears to be convex. I'd say that the tooth is an anterior lower tooth of either an Isurus desori/oxyrinchusCosmopolitodus (Carcharodon) hastalis, or Carcharodon carcharias

• I found this Informative 2

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png