Help With Mazon Creek Nodule Specimen

PaleoPutz

Hello,

I was hoping one of the fine people here could help me ID what is in this nodule. I opened it myself, and frankly, it didn't go well. It wasn't centered very well in the nodule and it sort of sheared off and cumbled a bit. I did get a part/counterpart section that is in fairly good condition. I have had it for a couple years and always wonderd what it was. It's from Mazon Creek in Pennsylvania (I think). Anyway, I'm hoping it's a cool larvae or caterpillar, but it is probably just a funny looking stick.

It appears segmented with small, thin leg-like parts approximating what appear to be the segments. There also appears to be what looks like a head which you can see in the photos.

What do you think?

post-1234-1251512739_thumb.jpg post-1234-1251512761_thumb.jpg

yes, i believe that's the creature that made those ripples on that rock on the other thread.

:rolleyes:

then again, maybe not.

yes, i believe that's the creature that made those ripples on that rock on the other thread.

:rolleyes:

then again, maybe not.

You lost me (which doesn't take much for me) .... but thank you anyway...............

You lost me (which doesn't take much for me) .... but thank you anyway...............

That happens a lot don't worry about it.

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

Hello,

I was hoping one of the fine people here could help me ID what is in this nodule. I opened it myself, and frankly, it didn't go well. It wasn't centered very well in the nodule and it sort of sheared off and cumbled a bit. I did get a part/counterpart section that is in fairly good condition. I have had it for a couple years and always wonderd what it was. It's from Mazon Creek in Pennsylvania (I think). Anyway, I'm hoping it's a cool larvae or caterpillar, but it is probably just a funny looking stick.

It appears segmented with small, thin leg-like parts approximating what appear to be the segments. There also appears to be what looks like a head which you can see in the photos.

What do you think?

post-1234-1251512739_thumb.jpg post-1234-1251512761_thumb.jpg

I`m not an expert on Mazon Creek stuff, but as far as I can see, yuo`ve got there a segmented Polychaete worm. I will say (but I can be wrong),Dryptoscolex Matthesiae? (quite rare)or, in my opinion, best guess, Esconites Zelus (Common in the nodules). By the way, nice specimen! :D

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Yes, you have a polycheate worm. As for exact ID, you better ask an expert. I have several shown on my web page. I think the ID's are correct but it took a lot of effort. I used a microscope to locate the jaws and even then I had to show the specimens to an expert.

Thank you all for the information. You gave me more to go on than what I had before so I really appreciate that. I was hoping it was something along those lines, but I had no idea.

Should I try to clean it a bit more or will most of the visible detail be lost? I was thinking I should leave it as is because the impression might not be so well preserved.

Thanks again...

Thank you all for the information. You gave me more to go on than what I had before so I really appreciate that. I was hoping it was something along those lines, but I had no idea.

Should I try to clean it a bit more or will most of the visible detail be lost? I was thinking I should leave it as is because the impression might not be so well preserved.

Thanks again...

I would leave it how it is. It`s a fairly good example of soft animal good preservation. Doesn't need any restoration.

Thanks for the photos for comparison. I haven't examined my specimen under the microscope to closely look at structures present. It is an interesting idea... thank you.

PaleoPutz..... Heres a couple more better photos of ones I've found since then, as the one in the first image is quite small and has less detail...I would agree with John on Calamostachys for ID...

post-1630-12521418967941_thumb.jpg post-1630-12521419110278_thumb.jpg

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)