Trimerorhachis insignis

Billy_Rees

Hi,

I recently bought this online and it was listed as a Trimerorhachis Insignis tooth from Jefferson County, Oklahoma.

After comparing it with other images I think this could be a claw and not a tooth, but I'm not 100% certain... Could anyone please confirm if it is?

Thanks, Billly.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

Definitely a tooth, but I'm not convinced it is Trimerorhachis. Can you post a photo of the place where the tooth broke off from the jaw?

I dont think its Trimerorhachis their teeth dont appear to have cutting edges and this one seems to have them but the photos are not clear.  Pretty small.  I would also like to see a photo looking into the base

1 hour ago, Troodon said:

I dont think its Trimerorhachis their teeth dont appear to have cutting edges and this one seems to have them but the photos are not clear.  Pretty small.  I would also like to see a photo looking into the base

At least some trimerorhachids do show cutting edges on some of the teeth, primarily the palatal fangs. So it's possible. I'm not seeing consipicuous labyrinthine infolding though so I don't know. It could also belong to a handful of other animals with similar dentition, but realistically I don't think you're going to have an easy time making a confident determination. Part of me even wonders if maybe this is some sort of fish tooth.

Archived