Shellseeker

I was was catching strippers and drinking gin in Cape Cod a week ago, lower Vermont Sunday and Monday, ate cod in a restaurant on Long Island Sound Tuesday, spent Wednesday in Connecticut, on a plane home Thursday, out hunting fossils yesterday.

Did not find much. 10 small shark teeth and a few worn bones. A whiskey bottle from the the 30s or 40s.  It was brutal, lots of bugs, 95 degrees, high humidity...  Loved every second of it.

Had lunch with a good friend, went back to his place to take photos of fossils he found 30 years ago in BV phosphate mines:

So think Florida Bone Valley,  Miocene, 10-25 myas. I am just going to select individual photos. I have more but sizes limits in a single thread slow me down. A few of these I believe I know the species, but for the 1st day will encourage guesses from those who do not know or are not sure. Enjoy EDITED: Most Identifications added on July 30th

Fossil #1:IMG_2947.thumb.jpg.00dc6c39ff6f7d593d820338f8626077.jpg

Fossil #2 IDENTIFIED as Large kentriodontid-grade dolphin tooth

IMG_2936whale2.jpg.8151ff7f6049820deb8faa9c348bacc1.jpg

Fossil #3 IDENTIFIED as true Seal Cervical vertebrae

IMG_2938.thumb.jpg.3d5c09f063df49757012f55c79459395.jpg

Fossil #4

IMG_2931.jpg.a5e73438ac27e78ba66734a34a224ebf.jpg

Fossil #5 IDENTIFIED as true Seal Axis vertebrae

IMG_2918vert2.thumb.jpg.225a198f8bcad23e2af2f349d31156ed.jpg

Fossil #7 IDENTIFIED as true Seal sacrum boneIMG_2763vert2aTxT.jpg.76c86dbbfd4a94a4fb327ecdc79282df.jpg

Fossil #8 IDENTIFIED as Rostral node shark snout.

IMG_2913.thumb.jpg.9337993aeb787c05d22bed9257dde625.jpg

Fossil #9  Indentations on BOTH sides.... IDENTIFIED as symphyseal portion of a mandible where the lateral edges have fallen away - this is from a Large kentriodontid-grade dolphin.

IMG_2911mandible.thumb.jpg.007ee3e2c1113c89cddd91cd383a6e8b.jpg

I will be thinking about these, looking at the internet fossil sites, checking with fossil identification friends.... Just sharing with my friends at TFF.  These are miocene. Out of 9 fossils, maybe I would find 2 or 3 in the mostly Pleistocene Peace River.   Jack

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Cool finds

#3 cetacean vert ?

#8 could be a shark rostral node/snout, could use a side view

#7 sacrum of ?

1 hour ago, Shellseeker said:

I was was catching strippers

Were the strippers hard to catch?

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs

I was was catching strippers

Wave a $50.00, they'll chase you... Oh wait.. you mean the fish, don't you? :wacko:

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

And that is about the limit on this pun so that we don't lose our G-rating. ;):P 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

1 hour ago, Bone guy said:

#2 looks whale. Maybe Basilosaurus? 

Yes , marine mammal,  but maybe too small for Basilosaurus.  I am thinking kentriodontid dolphin (Cetacea; Kentriodontidae) .

1 hour ago, Innocentx said:

Were the strippers hard to catch?

42 minutes ago, daves64 said:

Wave a $50.00, they'll chase you... Oh wait.. you mean the fish, don't you? :wacko:

When I was in my prime, it was easier to catch Tuna, Stripped Bass, and Bluefish.  Currently I take an inordinately long time to catch ONE.  and then leave the others to sons, nephews, etc...

js_stripers_three_boys.jpg.12e31db8bfe98bd58e67d7ab347a774b.jpg

2 hours ago, Troodon said:

Cool finds

#3 cetacean vert ?

#8 could be a shark rostral node/snout, could use a side view

#7 sacrum of ?

Not sure on #3.  It looks like Dolphin but has those little holes on each side and other slight differences....

#8 agree.. I was actually after 2 of these with many photos (Fossils #6 and #7) and then others of the 100s available which would catch my eye, but only got a few photos.  I agree on shark nose bone (rostral node sounds good) .  I have seen a few before. Of all nine fossils, it is the only one with a single photo. and of course that is the one I could use a 2nd photo.

On #6 and #7 ,  I sent these to Richard Hulbert before going on vacation. He indicated that #7 might be a canid sacrum, bigger than fox.  Now all I have to do is sort thru the Florida miocene predators for candidates.

Finally let me add 2 photos to fossil #9 .  I am thinking this is a narrow mandibular symphysis with tooth sockets on both sides.  This is one unusual fossil.

IMG_2909mandibleCrop.JPG.9e38e87ecbcf9b7a42135b3b05026445.JPGIMG_2912mandible.thumb.jpg.37248d35e6ffb8ca49bcfbc121fabf67.jpg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

56 minutes ago, Shellseeker said:
2 hours ago, Bone guy said:

#2 looks whale. Maybe Basilosaurus? 

Yes , marine mammal,  but maybe too small for Basilosaurus.  I am thinking kentriodontid dolphin (Cetacea; Kentriodontidae) .

Check that... I went back and looked at Kentriodontid teeth and they might be too small.  This tooth looks to be around 2 inches. Do Basilosaurus teeth come that small? The ones I have seen seem significantly larger. 

Currently I take an inordinately long time to catch ONE.  and then leave the others to sons, nephews, etc...

js_stripers_three_boys.jpg.12e31db8bfe98bd58e67d7ab347a774b.jpg

Wow. Some fine bass eating in your future!

tooth sockets on both sides.  This is one unusual fossil.

I'll say!

I missed acquiring Striped Bass fossils, they do have Verts but I would have to wait a while for fossilization.  Also, I misspelled "Striped Bass" and triggered the misunderstanding... my bad.

Back to fossils. 

1. We have asked if #2 might possibly be a Basilosaurus tooth.
  2. We speculate that #3 might be marine mammal, specifically dolphin. I am looking at the double set of "wings", one above and one at the base of the large hole.
  3. I am stretching fossil #5 may have some of that marine mystique.

Only 1 possible direction.  @Boesse

4 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

Finally let me add 2 photos to fossil #9 .  I am thinking this is a narrow mandibular symphysis with tooth sockets on both sides.  This is one unusual fossil.

Sawfish rostrum? Sockets on both sides...

56 minutes ago, Bone guy said:

Sawfish rostrum? Sockets on both sides...

We have at least 3 options probably more for fossil #9:

Sawfish, River Dolphin, Gharial.... Here are some photos. Granted , we would need some small immature ones to fit one of these to the fossil above.  Which do you think is the most likely?

fossil-sawfish-rostrum-teeth-8.thumb.jpg.636ba8b654e05c981d7a3ad13c899fe1.jpg5b5cf96ff3e03_new-river-dolphin-bonesIniaaraguaiaensis.jpg.e9db9f0caf4fe9c77151341f160a0b68.jpgSarcosuchus_Mandible.thumb.jpg.e84e278692291468514a86dda7ca0f8f.jpg

Fossil # 9 is indeed the symphyseal portion of a mandible where the lateral edges have fallen away - this is from a large dolphin. Large kentriodontid-grade dolphin is a likely candidate for that large dolphin tooth as well. There's also three pinniped bones - cervical vert, an axis vertebra, and a sacrum, all likely from a phocid seal (true seal).

WOW!!!! :1-SlapHands_zpsbb015b76: Thanks Bobby. I just love finding out what a fossil is, and my hunting buddy will be ecstatic adding labels on these, especially that mandible and seal verts!!!! Big Smile,  BIG Smile.

Going to his home is like visiting a Natural History Museum....   Jack

Archived