Show us your Sphenacodontidae collection.

Bobby Rico

On 7/30/2018 at 3:06 PM, Troodon said:

My last one, just cleaned up the photo still not great but it says it all

dorsal vertebra 25 inches

Dimetvert.thumb.jpg.3f56d0c2f6971f264b6ba3ef426cf830.jpg

Frank how did you manage to take this picture? Might be just as impressive as the fossil itself :D

1 hour ago, Runner64 said:

Frank how did you manage to take this picture? Might be just as impressive as the fossil itself :D

Very carefully :D I have a bracket that holds the vert and just Photoshopped it away

On 8/3/2018 at 10:02 AM, Troodon said:

Found one more of your favorite from tucson 2016

post-10935-0-52547100-1455070311.thumb.jpg.4b8094946df490ae58df21af5f2f3061.jpg

WOW! Did everyone hear that?!? WOW!!!!!!

16 hours ago, Runner64 said:

Your last one? So that's yours? 

15 hours ago, Troodon said:

Very carefully :D I have a bracket that holds the vert and just Photoshopped it away

Should’ve known! Good photoshop skills.

Sorry for the poor picture quality but this is the best I can do at the moment.

I'm no expert on Dimetrodon but this is a tooth that was sold to me as a Dimetrodon grandis tooth from Texas. It is supposed to be one of the teardrop shaped teeth located behind the canine/incisor teeth in the jaw. 

Dimetrodon tooth1.jpg

• I found this Informative 7

On 8/5/2018 at 4:04 PM, Dracorex_hogwartsia said:

I'm no expert on Dimetrodon but this is a tooth that was sold to me as a Dimetrodon grandis tooth from Texas. It is supposed to be one of the teardrop shaped teeth located behind the canine/incisor teeth in the jaw. 

Dimetrodon tooth1.jpg

Very tooth indeed thank you.

Dimetrodon tooth1.jpg

Nice tooth Randy. How big is it approximately?

Dimetrodon tooth1.jpg

That's awesome! Ive never seen that type of tooth rooted. I don't see that type of tooth much anyway, and I feel like they're usually even smaller than the others.

22 hours ago, Dracorex_hogwartsia said:

Very nice tooth rarely see rooted ones

• I found this Informative 1

On 8/6/2018 at 2:14 PM, Troodon said:

Very nice tooth rarely see rooted ones

Yeah, that's what I was saying, I don't think Ive ever seen ANY dimetrodon tooth rooted. Of course IF all, or many of all those tiny teeth Ive seen are misidentified, as was suggested a possibility of, then Ive actually seen very few dimetrodon teeth at all 

• 2 weeks later...

This just arrived yesterday. Edaphosaurus bone with a hole from a very large dimetrodon tooth.

*the tooth hole is about a centimeter wide and the widest part!

IMG_7200.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

I saw that for sale, an awesome piece!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Wow, look how random and rubbley its hand is. And they don't really match each others shapes or anything. If i was fossil hunting, I would easily overlook a bunch of those hand bones!

...actually, is that even correct? It just looks so jumbled and assorted....like if someone was just needed to fill that area in with stuff.

IMG_7210.PNG

@Still_human check out this human hand. A bit changed, but all the same bones. 

704B99DF-D3CB-4911-8747-86EDAAF5C152.jpeg

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

2 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

But on the other hand...........I have four fingers and a thumb. Barump bah! :dinothumb:

• I found this Informative 4

Everything is generated through your own will power ~ Ray Bradbury

21 hours ago, Still_human said:

This just arrived yesterday. Edaphosaurus bone with a hole from a very large dimetrodon tooth.

*the tooth hole is about a centimeter wide and the widest part!

IMG_7200.JPG

That must of hurt! Usually if you see bony mass surrounding a puncture its a sign of healing, which is also a sign the animal survived the attack. I don't see any of that here so that means this injury was likely post-death or the cause of death. Dimetrodons were some amazing creatures! :wub:

Yeah, I'm very happy with it. Especially the size of the tooth mark. The hole isn't even as deep as it is wide, so thats just the very tip of the tooth. That was an enormous tooth that made that! That's one of my favorite things--predation marks. Something that tells a story about the animal. it's amazing getting to know something so specific about what happened to an animal from over 65million years in the past(in this case WAY more than that), and get a glimpse of not just what this exact individual went through(sadly, predation marks are of such a horrific moment), but also a first-hand glimpse of life back then...at least of one aspect of life....the last part. Not just reading about it, or even seeing pictures, but actually getting to touch the bone yourself, and feel the tooth hole, or scratch marks, or whatever. The best I think, is healed/healing wounds. Those are stories of more than just the animal getting killed. That really sets the imagination loose! That's also why I like claws and teeth and horns, because you know that they specifically went through so much incredible stuff over their years(pun not intended), not just killing/being killed, but other stuff too, like mating season and territorial scraps. Large triceratops horns for instance, you can know for a fact have successfully defended off giant predators like tyrannos, and whatnot, maybe even stabbed into, maybe even killed them! It would be cool if it was as easy to see into less violent parts of the animals lives also, but i guess the things that really stand out for life back then are generally the extreme and aggressive parts. 

I really wish I knew what bone this was. That would give a true picture to the drama. When I first looked at it on the site, I thought it kind of looked like that back of the jaw, but now I don't think so. It has stumps from places branching off that make it too intricate for me to be able to eyeball with the relatively few good visual sources of Edaphosaurus bones

1 hour ago, Still_human said:

65million

A little older than that my friend both Dimetrodon and Edaphosaurus are from the early Permian periods about 280 million years ago.

47 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

A little older than that my friend both Dimetrodon and Edaphosaurus are from the early Permian periods about 280 million years ago.

Oh yeah, definitely. That's why I parenthesized "(in this case WAY more than that)"

2 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

Ahhhhh, gotcha, right you are, I didn't remember all those little bones(darn this skin!). At least OUR little bones look like they fit together. Take THAT dimetrodons!:raindance: 

*yeah, I know fossilization takes a toll on bone shape, but then I couldn't use that emoji

*looks like that person's got a little extra something something by his thumb. 

2 hours ago, Walt said:

But on the other hand...........I have four fingers and a thumb. Barump bah! :dinothumb:

Hahahahahaha.  ":dinothumb:" indeed!