Buckhunter91

Found this in a creek bed after a week of very heavy storms, the tooth is very dense, seems to long to be a cow? 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Looks bovid  to me  :)

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Well, it is a premolar , lower tooth,  excellent shape and as you have indicated either Bison or Bos. Did Bison inhabit Pennsylvania at one point?

There are lots of TFF threads on the few differences between Bison and Bos.

Do this google search and you can find most of them. "bison bos site:www.thefossilforum.com"

Welcome to TFF; Nice people interested in fossils; I hope you find it interesting and useful. 

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

1 hour ago, Troodon said:

Interesting and thanks for the link. I was thinking about fossilized Buffalo teeth, which usually takes more than 10000 years. I had not considered the migration of Buffalo herds from the west.

We have something similar in Florida where wild hogs were introduced by Spaniards in the 1500s and Buffalo introduced to Florida by settlers in the 1880s.

So I can find Bos  (which have teeth extremely similar to Bison Bison) or Bison Bison from the Florida Buffalo farms I pass on my way to the Peace River,  or Bison Bison that were introduced in the 1880s or Bison Latifrons  or Bison Antiquus.

Very difficult to differentiate any of these teeth :headscratch:.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"