What kind of tooth is this?

laurie

Hello!  Does anyone happen to know what kind of tooth this is?  We’ve never seen one like this before!  This was found in summerville, SC.  

8288FF15-60CE-4198-B26E-0589BFA876A9.jpeg

Thats a cool tooth, nice find.  It looks pathological can you take a photo of the other side.

I agree, I think you may have a very interesting pathological shark's tooth there. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

A beautiful patho! A rare tooth indeed.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Here’s the back of it and a closer shot of the front.  What does pathological mean if you do t mind my asking?  We are new at this.  

56189901-1D1C-4012-8FEC-B4224B94EA41.jpeg

9 minutes ago, laurie said:

Here’s the back of it and a closer shot of the front.  What does pathological mean if you do t mind my asking?  We are new at this.  

A pathology is an abnormality in the tooth growth from the norm ... resulting in a deformity or malformation. Sometimes caused by disease , malnutrition, growing in poorly in an odd position, crowding, injury to the area etc... etc ...

Nice tooth.

Cheers,

Brett

One possibility is a tiger shark that one of the shoulder cusps grew very large

g_cuvier_id.jpg.557b4a25a4e863aa9e8d232ff6649fd7.jpg

Photo from fossilguy.com

The picture of the lingual side looks like it has serrations, so I am going to through Great White out there.

Yeah, I agree with Physogaleus  or Galeocerdo.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Nice find! And I think it likely comes from a Physogaleus contortus (extinct tiger shark).

Archived