Collecting on the Sly

Uncle Siphuncle

So my wife asked me to round her up some free landscaping rocks today, which I did, but I left the times of coming and going a bit fuzzy so as to afford myself a look at a small, slowly eroding exposure of Georgetown limestone that I found about 15 years ago, and have kept more or less under my hat ever since in order to allow adequate weathering between visits.

The bedrock is mostly covered with gravel these days, but the hummocky suface poked through in a few spots, bringing a couple 2 inch Coenholectypus echinoids to hand while doing a surface crawl.  Blind mining revealed a few Mariella ammonites as well, all a whorl or 2 shy of keeper status.

The beating sun and resulting sweaty brow prompted me to pack it in after 30 minutes or so, but a funny spalling precipice of limestone caught my eye and beckoned a quick whack with the chisel and hand sledge...revealing part of the adult whorl of a hopefully intact Graysonites ammonite, rare in the San Antonio area.

10 more minutes of careful chiseling ensued, going at it lightly from all sides till it popped out in 1 piece!  Preservation of steinkerns at this site is not as crisp as in far North Texas, but home town pride makes up for that.

Many ammonites into this pursuit, I’m happy to report that blind serendipity can still steal my breath away and leave me thankful to experience the joys that nature can present.  Next round, I’ll take a tenured buddy or 2 for the harvest. A little blind sweat equity should prove fortuitous for each of us, give a couple hours of steel driving.

B7F5D6A7-583F-4ED7-B47E-23BBAFA14E9A.png

42EBBB67-781C-4B29-8DE9-36CED49E41D4.png

• I found this Informative 2

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Should prep well.  I have 2 loose horns that were cracked off as-found, but held in place by ambient sediment.  I’ll be adding them back for maximum surface topography.

8CF015C3-7849-4A14-A506-53C42397F3D8.png

7D4F3C40-90E7-41D4-B79F-55FFAF0832B5.png

• I found this Informative 6

Grüße,

Nice finds. And a good way to get in a little hunting while still keeping the wife happy. 

• I found this Informative 1

Nice!  Your wife is going to wonder when TFF members start volunteering to help you get landscape rock for her :D

• I found this Informative 2

Everything is generated through your own will power ~ Ray Bradbury

Nice find, can't wait to see that one prepped. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Hope you hadn't forgot the rocks when you got home...Doh!!!

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

2 hours ago, caldigger said:

Hope you hadn't forgot the rocks when you got home...Doh!!!

The Mrs has come to accept/expect such diversions.  So nothing really sly going on after all, just standard operating procedure.  

And yes she got her rocks delivered and set in place, then I grilled her scallop skewers so all is well in Siphuncle Land, thanks for asking!

Grüße,

11 hours ago, Uncle Siphuncle said:

Blind mining revealed a few Mariella ammonites as well, all a whorl or 2 shy of keeper status.

The beating sun and resulting sweaty brow prompted me to pack it in after 30 minutes or so, but a funny spalling precipice of limestone caught my eye and beckoned a quick whack with the chisel and hand sledge...

Danial,

You have a way with words... sounds like they flow off your tongue like little gems.  Blind mining ???  That is definitely what I would require. I was not picking out that gorgeous ammonite.  Likely would have stepped on it while passing by...  Jack

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

3 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

Danial,

You have a way with words... sounds like they flow off your tongue like little gems.  Blind mining ???  That is definitely what I would require. I was not picking out that gorgeous ammonite.  Likely would have stepped on it while passing by...  Jack

It was completely ensconced in rock, completely hidden from view just a half inch sub surface.  A lucky strike revealed it for the first time in 99 million years.  A chisel attack displaced by just an inch could have damaged this gem.

Grüße,

Nice ammos! Hope to see them prepped!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.