Flags Pond Visit, July 27

Littlefoot

I haven't visited Flags Pond in ages, as it's not been a very good site for me, fossil-wise. Still, I had a free Friday on July 27, and with the kids in tow, I headed to Flags. It's is a good beach play-wise for the kids, and I hoped the beach would be in good shape after all the rain we've gotten recently. The path to the beach was accessible, the beach itself was in good condition, and there were quite a few people visiting alongside us. 

Despite the crowds, I walked away with quite a few first finds, including my first odontocete and what I think is my first Cosmopolitodus hastalis. I also found tooth fragments for what could be a large tooth (or maybe I'm just dreaming!). There were tons of bone fragments, ray teeth, and coral pieces washing up onshore as well, and my older kid was thrilled to find some all on his own!

IMG_0183_small.jpg

IMG_0189_small.jpg

IMG_0190_small.jpg

Nice finds!  A day at the beach with the kids and excellent fossils (several species new to your collection) to boot: what could be better.

Don

Nice Fragalodon (fragment of a Megalodon):dinothumb:

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

@FossilDAWG -- Days at the beach with the kids are really perfect! Wish I had more time to do it again before school starts back up! It's also fun because the kids are finally starting to get interested in fossil hunting!

@WhodamanHD -- Thank you for IDing the fragaladon! I was wondering if it was a megaladon fragment, but I wasn't sure. My first! Next step is trying to find a whole one!

Nice hunt with the family! Life is good:)

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Archived