Briggs Road 7/29/18

Darktooth

I have finally got a chance to get back to do a hunt, in the Devonian of New York.  It seems like it has been forever since the last time I hunted for trilos. Aleast a month or two I think? Today I went out with only my youngest child Devin. We only stayed for 2 hours, but this trip certainly got the blood flowing. I went back to Briggs road and hit up the same spot that I have been working on all year. I have to say I am getting very excited buy the size of the specimens that I found today. First thing I found was a Eldredgeops cephalon laying on the ground. Doesn't sound very impressive does it? Well the fact that it measured 4 cm or 1 1/2 inches wide should. Most whole trilos barely reach that size!  I found other bigger, then normal partials with a few possible whole ones. The size really gives me an idea that there may be some bigger bugs hiding there than what I had previouly thought. I also found a large partial Greenops Cephalon and partial Greenops thorax and pygidium.  Plus two Dipleura cephalons unfortunately they all ended up crumbling from just the short time they sat in the sun. I should of gotten them to the car sooner. Here are pics of just what I brought home. A lot of partials were left behind.

20180729_221424.jpg

20180729_221509.jpg

20180729_221552.jpg

20180729_221638.jpg

20180729_221658.jpg

20180729_221734.jpg

20180729_221810.jpg

20180729_221925.jpg

20180729_222052.jpg

20180729_222234.jpg

20180729_222301.jpg

• I found this Informative 7

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Nice haul. Cool how the last one is peeking out from it's entombment.

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs

They're out there Dave, just waiting for you.

Go get'em buddy!

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Good work, Dave! But how do you load them onto your surfboard? :P 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Nice finds, Dave - thanks for sharing!

(By the way - a 4cm-wide Eldredgeops rana is amazing!!!)

17 hours ago, Innocentx said:

Nice haul. Cool how the last one is peeking out from it's entombment.

Everytime I find them like that I pray the rest of the bug it in there. Sometimes it is, but mostly that's all there is.:(

16 hours ago, caldigger said:

Their out there Dave, just waiting for you.

Go get'em buddy!

I hope to get back there soon but life is getting hectic.

16 hours ago, aek said:

Nice work, Dave. Love that spot.

I underappreciated this site the first few times I went. But then I found the sweet spot. Game on!

9 hours ago, Monica said:

Nice finds, Dave - thanks for sharing!

(By the way - a 4cm-wide Eldredgeops rana is amazing!!!)

I am on a mission to find a whole one that size, not just the head!

5 hours ago, ynot said:

Nice finds!

! ynoT, sknahT

Nice finds!  How do these looked when prepped compared to the ones from penn dixie? I think that it would be great to have a series of Eldredgeops from the various New York localities.  

23 hours ago, Kane said:

Good work, Dave! But how do you load them onto your surfboard? :P 

I secure them on their own mini surfboards and make a caravan.:P

On 7/30/2018 at 4:56 PM, ranitomeya said:

Nice finds!  How do these looked when prepped compared to the ones from penn dixie? I think that it would be great to have a series of Eldredgeops from the various New York localities.  

Personally, I have not seen a fully prepped trilo from either Briggs road or Penn-Dixie, atleast in person. I have seen pics of prepped specimens from PD. That being said, I would think it would depend on the quality of preservation of a particular specimen, as well as the skill level of the individual doing the prep work. At Briggs Road I have found trilos in different states of preservation. Some are preserved quite nice with very good detail while others are not. The matrix is mostly a sort of yellowish/tan color. But there are layers that have a red/purple stain in it. While trilos can be found throughout the layers, from my own experience,  the best preserved ones come from the yellow/tan matrix. FYI my own prep skills are pretty much non-existant which is one reason I have yet to see one fully prepped.  I will say with confidence, I am sure some would prep out very well.

• I found this Informative 1

Congratulations Dave on some really cool finds. I've been to Briggs Road a number of times since 2012 and never found a complete trilobite there until my last visit with Fossildude19 three weeks ago. I happened to see a small badly weathered Eldredgeops pygidium on a rock with a small portion of an eye sticking out from underneath it. It turned out the thorax and cephalon were folded underneath the pygidium- my first complete trilo from there. Last time I was there before that- Thanksgiving Day last year, I found my largest Eldredgeops, a partial (thorax and pygidium) measuring almost two inches long. Your cephalon probably came from an even larger individual.  Thanks for sharing.