To restore or not to restore

Shellseeker

A large male tusk a Miocene Rhinoceros has been in my possession for a couple of weeks. I am aware of a couple of businesses which specialize in restoration of fossils, megs, artifacts and the tusk owner asked me to facilitate restorations. The tusk itself is of very high quality with or without restorations.

I have a small Rhino collection and I am considering negotiating a purchase price that both of us could feel good about.

So here it is. A lower left tusk of Teleoceras Proterum, which was endemic to Florida 8-10 myas.

TeleocerasproterumLeft2ndIncisor.JPG.229a87540eb96939ccb8ddff99b7a47e.JPG

You can see where the tusk was broken between the 5 & 6 inch mark and repaired sometime in the past. A top restorer could erase the mess around the repair, replace the bonding with a like colored material, and come close to making the break disappear.  One of the few sources of this level of detail quality occurs in the Florida Phosphate mines. This one was found in a Polk County mine in the 1980s. To my never-ending pain, I did not start hunting until decades later.

The next photo is of a T. Proterum skull found in Florida and re_assembled with (I am sure) some restoration.  I have circled in red the equivalent fossil left tusk. The animal would sharpen the two lower tusks with the single roundish upper incisor.

TeleocerasSkull.JPG.bf960fbf940243be8bfcea89b1c49c69.JPG

A couple of more photos.  Here is detail on the tusk root. I have colored yellow a small pebble that I have not chosen to remove .. yet. Note the unbroken tiny knobs and the bluish tint to the inside of the root.

RhinoRootYellowCrop.JPG.2282081cdcd1ee3f51b0a786e94fe288.JPG

Finally, a discussion of the tusk tip which could also be a candidate for restoration...

TeleocerasproterumLeft2ndIncisorTIP.JPG.73bc520281ef90d21cdb595e77fbf610.JPG

So, the mahogany area of the tip has been shaved and polished by the upper incisor for most of the animal's life. Then it was broken on an angle (the grayish , white section). That new gray-white section was then shaved and polished by the upper incisor. This is similar to badly breaking a large bone an have it heal before you die. Your bones (or tusk) will always tell a story.  The area next to the red line is a post fossilization "fresh" break and candidate for restoration.

So, should I buy it and if I do, what level of fossilization is appropriate?  I am not a big proponent of restoration. I have some time to think, and while I do, decided to share this fossil with TFF members.  What is the good of having a nice fossil if you never show it to someone who might appreciate it.  Enjoy.  Jack

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

If it were mine, I would fix the badly repaired crack and leave the rest as is.

To buy - or not to buy? That is a question only Horatio can answer.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

17 minutes ago, ynot said:

+1

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Nice tusk.   I would repair the crack area and the red marked damage to the tip.  You are reparing a fresh fracture in the tip not creating something that was not there at the time it fossilized.   It's  identical to the reason you are reparing the crack area.

You have to make the purchase decision.

1 hour ago, Uncle Siphuncle said:

+1

+2

Very interesting post. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

3 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

+2

Very interesting post. 

+3

Whether it is nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous repair, or to bear reconstruction against a sea of breaks, and by opposing end them.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

If you like it buy it, if I did, I would do as little to it as possible. 

It is like me, I am a thing of beauty, you don’t see me going for a facelift. Lol

4 hours ago, ynot said:

It is possible that Yorick, given his condition, might be more insightful in evaluating a dis-articulated part. :headscratch:

57 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

+3

Whether it is nobler in the mid to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous repair, or to bear reconstruction against a sea of breaks, and by opposing end them.

I wonder if fossil enthusiasts have a para_normal or ethereal link to Shakespeare.

45 minutes ago, Nimravis said:

If you like it buy it, if I did, I would do as little to it as possible.

It is like me, I am a thing of beauty, you don’t see me going for a facelift. Lol

This is exactly what gives me pause... trying to improve a thing of beauty like you or even me! or this fossil. :D:D:D

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

5 minutes ago, Shellseeker said:

I wonder if fossil enthusiasts have a para_normal or ethereal link to Shakespeare.

I think it was the thread title that led us to the words of the bard.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

• 2 months later...

Updated,

My Mailbox delivered today:wub:. As indicated, I have access to a fossil restoration artist who can work miracles... I am very pleased. 

To me ,it is always better to find all the fossils in my collection, and to make as few/no restorations as possible. However, in this specific instance...IMG_3558.jpg.e4caf91c4789f07d9a49c0425d2fac05.jpgIMG_3563.jpg.ec9535f3180bae2440bfcaea8ca172db.jpgIMG_3565.jpg.57bdf9712bbba65e325a7a6f70bc9335.jpg

You made the right choice!  We are as please as you to look upon this artistry.

:dinothumb:

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

On 10/20/2018 at 8:03 AM, minnbuckeye said:

Hi Jack! Beautiful tooth!!! Have you ever encountered pieces sifting?

Mike

Sorry, I missed this post.  I was busy, screwed up my right leg for most of the month and got back out just as you asked the question...

I have only found 2 rhino fossils hunting the Peace River.  An astragalus  in 2014

and then a lower tooth badly broken and worn...found in 2015 at Brownsville that I managed to misplace somewhere in my collection boxes..

I have supplemented my Florida Rhino collection with a couple of purchases (both Teleoceras Proterum from the Phosphate mines).

RhinoCrop3txt.thumb.jpg.31df759f0b74ab12040fc98b8aa0690a.jpgRhinoUpperMolar.thumb.jpg.c9a251515ee4f9632e3b1da919719f4c.jpg.fc15640d3a7d96f29e7062b241100db7.jpg

Archived