3.5 Inch Spinosaurus Tooth Painted?

Ms.Fossil

I recently purchased this 3.5 inch spinosaurus tooth online, but have some concerns it may be painted. I was told by the previous owner that when checked under microscope, it appeared to have some glue in the cracks, possibly just to keep them from spreading but did not appear to have any full break repairs. However to me, the colour looks too consistent, and the colour leaks into the center on top as though painted. Thoughts?

35EC6051-5ED1-44EC-B395-9B08CFEA0972.jpeg

Glue in cracks can be normal just to stabilize them.  Will need some better lit photos of the crown and root to see if we can determine if its painted. May just be a coating they use which darkened the root and is giving it a gloss appearance.   PVA can do that 

Couldnt upload that second picture originally for some reason. But thats the top. 

The photo looks like the base and its out of focus to say much.  You are limited to 4mb per post why it might not have loaded.  Reduce the size of your images if thats the case.

Looks like a normal base with some matrix in the root cavity. Don't see any signs of paint.  

Many Moroccan teeth have coloring added to even out the look of the item. 

I got a Carcharodontasaurus tooth one time that was stained with real concentrated coffee. It easily cleaned off and the tooth underneath was much better in my eyes. But it smelled like an espresso before I did that. :P

The stain was an even rich brown color, but I prefer fossils in their natural "as found" state.

20180730_210902.jpg

Thanks for the help guys! Im hoping its not painted, but either way its a good size and in good shape so I’d keep it even if it does turn out to be painted. And thats a nice Carcharo tooth! I have one as well, 2 inches exactly. It looks like that ones about the same size?

5D569472-6387-41EC-9D10-E7C59317D200.jpeg

All of it looks completely real and unpainted. Painting on Kem Kem fossils is quite rare. I've only seen it done once or twice. Repairing missing parts or compositing from different specimens is much more common. So don't worry, that spinosaurid tooth is as real as they come.

Though note that isolated spinosaurid teeth from the Kem Kem beds cannot identified to the species level right now. There are at least two spinosaurids present in the Kem Kem beds. Spinosaurus eagyptiacus and Sigilmassasaurus brevicollis. We need more skull material to find out if and how their teeth differ.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

The tooth I posted is just at the 2.5" on the inside measurement.

I don't care that it is a bit weather blistered, that's how I would expect something pulled out of the desert to look.

The solid brown color they had on it just wasn't working for me.:wacko:

Archived