Still_human

Dimetrodon tiny teeth

Still_human

What is the deal with dimetrodon teeth??? I see them for sale regularly, but they're always MICRO! I even see some still teeny tiny labeled as "large" and "huge"? Even the super rare and expensive ones I've only ever seen a few of, are still less than an inch. Same with claws. I KNOW they have much bigger teeth, and claws, so why are practically dust particle size teeth&claws the only ones found? I know there's many dimetrodon species, but most of them are decent size. At LEAST big enough that even large juveniles should have notably larger parts. Ive never read anything that said that babies/newborns are almost all that's ever found. In fact(this just crossed my mind as im typing) I see sail sections regularly, that all clearly come from adult sized animals. I don't think Ive ever even SEEN small or baby sized sail fragments that come from animals anywhere near as small as all the teeth Ive ever seen.

those smaller teeth in these pics may look small in those giant heads, and many pics make them appear smaller cause it's from a side view and the jaw obstructs the lower part of the back teeth from the side. The super rare and expensive teeth Ive seen only a few times ever, were comparable to the smallest teeth in those pictures. And the average size teeth and claws I see are literally fractions of a centimeter.

The bottom picture is the average claw size that I see all the time--those dishes are 1.25"!!!!!!

in fact, teeth and claws are in those vials of micro-fossils from sifted site debris.

whats going on with my 'metros??? 

IMG_6982.JPG

IMG_6983.JPG

IMG_6984.JPG

IMG_6987.PNG

Still_human

Apparently theres only 1 species of small dimetrodon(small enough to produce significant amounts of teeth and claws those sizes)from the US, that is known from more than a couple bones upto 2 partial individuals. That leaves 7-10 US species who's stuff is too big, except as babies. 

Bone guy

Interesting. I agree with @Still_human that the only dimetrodon material I see selling is micro, and for big bucks. I've seen a one inch 'metro tooth with imperfections go for $700, but I'd assume the one inch size might guarantee the dimetrodon ID and people would spend more money on the tooth that is definatly Dimetrodon. 

Im glad we were able to adress this today because I can't remember ever seeing a thread on this topic.

paulyb135

I have wondered this too and a one inch or bigger dimetrodon tooth is on my want list but they seem very hard to find. In fact I’d love to see pics if anyone on the forum has any

Bone guy
26 minutes ago, paulyb135 said:

I’d love to see pics if anyone on the forum has any

@Bobby Rico has a claw and tooth from a Dimetrodon. Maybe he will post some pics here. 

TyBoy
7 minutes ago, -Andy- said:

This is my Dimetrodon grandis tooth from Oklahoma.

Not say it's not but how do you know it's one?  In looking at the paper lots of teeth look similar especially Ctenospondylus.  Anything diagnostic?

Troodon
1 hour ago, Bone guy said:

one inch size might guarantee the dimetrodon ID

No not true.  If you look at the above chart there are a few critters that it could fit.  The scale is 10 cm

-Andy-
25 minutes ago, TyBoy said:

Not say it's not but how do you know it's one?  In looking at the paper lots of teeth look similar especially Ctenospondylus.  Anything diagnostic?

I don't know for sure. I acquired the tooth years ago, and I can only take the seller at his word. Ctenospondylus isn't known from Oklahoma.

Troodon

@dinodigger  any resource available to help collectors ID these teeth?  Anything diagnostic we can look at with Andy's tooth?

TyBoy
1 hour ago, -Andy- said:

I don't know for sure. I acquired the tooth years ago, and I can only take the seller at his word. Ctenospondylus isn't known from Oklahoma.

Thanks.  You have to wonder how suppliers ID this material with so little published.  Diggers are not any better.  I think some believe just because it's big it must be Dimetrodon and yet other large species exist.  Even though Cteno is not describes it does not mean it does not exist just not enough material found to make it happen.  You see this with Bull Canyon Fm in the Triassic.  Oh well nice tooth.

Troodon
2 hours ago, -Andy- said:

seller at his word.

You know where I stand on that comment  :(  it just gets you into trouble.   BTW that is a nice tooth.

Still_human
3 hours ago, -Andy- said:

Dimetrodon_3b.thumb.jpg.a9492c8ab6c8ed6605d6f18960fdfec5.jpg

That is a beauty!!!!! Was it expensive? Don't worry, I'm not asking a specific price, just a general idea comparing to dino teeth. Id use a range from mosasaur teeth to trex teeth. I would LOVE a metro tooth, but I'll bet they're out of my range:/

and troodon, I have to take what u said very seriously. That would explain it completely!! I'm not gonna totally jump on that bandwagon though, because it's with many different sellers, from auction sites, to what I think are reputable websites. The info I have gotten when asked, seems to add up(the fossil finding details), but again, as has been pointed out that no matter what, unless u dug it up urself, or by a personally trusted individual, you can never know if you're not familiar enough with the fossil in question:( that's such a sad thought:( it also points to the legitimacy, I believe, that the issue is encompassing so many people, from all different places and stages of collection to sales, all of which are basically exactly the same, and not just similar situations. It would just seem crazy if EVERYONE was wrong or lying. But then we come back to the original question...how is that possible?!? Do they have extremely large litters, and the norm is that they almost always all die, or all die but one or 2? So that the fossilized dead is something crazy like 1000 babies to 1 adult, or even more? Or that adults are always found with teeth and claws still attached, so there aren't any loose to find? The only theory that really makes much sense is what you said troodon, that they just ARENT. But that has problems of its own. Like them being a very large population animal, and OTHER metro fossils being fairly common, like sail pieces,  but somehow never teeth or claws.

I just can't understand it, and it's always bothered me cause they're one of my favorites, and I'd love to get a tooth/teeth, and claw(s), but even if they ARE legit, I just don't even want anything this small:(

*btw, even the verts that i occasionally see are very small. Usually under an inch

Still_human

One detail that i know is that some are finely serrated. And some are not. Lol

paulyb135
5 hours ago, -Andy- said:

Dimetrodon_3b.thumb.jpg.a9492c8ab6c8ed6605d6f18960fdfec5.jpg

Incredible! I’m very jealous of this 

Bobby Rico
6 hours ago, Bone guy said:

@Bobby Rico has a claw and tooth from a Dimetrodon. Maybe he will post some pics here. 

Thanks Bone guy. I started this thread the other  day and it has had some stunning fossils added to it . Enjoy, you got love them critters . 

paulyb135

I could potentially get this partial jaw of what my contact has advised is of a dimetrodon. Are any of you confident it is from this species?

keen to know your thoughts 

1D63EA5E-83CA-4038-9D70-EE4765838B1B.png

DEA1A40C-FDA2-4151-A7B4-34AC91BF9DB7.png

3DDC0AE7-3211-466B-96DF-31E9DE11AD6E.png

Troodon
10 minutes ago, paulyb135 said:

I could potentially get this partial jaw of what my contact has advised is of a dimetrodon. Are any of you confident it is from this species?

How did your contact identify this as Dimetrodon? Where is it from?

Its a Sphenacodontidae.

Just a few out there with a similar  jaw structure.

Screenshot_20180731-025605.thumb.jpg.9f3815610f4026826f5f32940ddba1e6.jpg

Still_human

No, it's DEFINITELY not! Definitely DONT get it!!!! 

Hey, what's the sellers name, and how do I contact them?

haha let me take a look and see if I can place it along the jaw...

paulyb135
1 minute ago, Troodon said:

Its a Sphenacodontidae.

I am in the process of asking these questions so I’ll keep you posted. He is extremely reliable which I know you said don’t trust a seller but he is one of few I do trust 

Still_human
3 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Its a Sphenacodontidae.

You were able to ID it as spenac...whatever? how were you able to narrow it down to that specific kind of dimetrodon???

paulyb135
4 minutes ago, Still_human said:

No, it's DEFINITELY not! Definitely DONT get it!!!! 

Hey, what's the sellers name, and how do I contact them?

haha let me take a look and see if I can place it along the jaw...

Oh really? Looks like I’ll give it a miss then!

cool thanks! Appreciate the help 

Edited by Kane
Removed email address

Still_human

Oh no, I was joking!!!!!!