The Amateur Paleontologist

So I was browsing through the Archaeopteryx lithographica records on FossilWorks; and in one of the three records (from Workerszell, Eichstätt), I notice the mention of an 'unclassified' reptile taxon "Rhacehosaurus gracilis". The only further information that was provided was the age range (150.8 to 145.5 Ma) and the geographical distribution. I looked elsewhere online (google scholar, ResearchGate...) for any other mention of the genus "Rhacehosaurus", and nothing else turns up. Do you people know about this enigmatic taxon? Is it some kind of invalid synonym or something?

I'd love to know more about this..

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

Check out this reference from Journal of Paleontology that mentions Rhacehosaurus: http://paleobiodb.org/classic/displayReference?reference_no=43156

M. B. Andrade, M. T. Young, J. B. Desojo and S. L. Brusatte. 2010. The evolution of extreme hypercarnivory in Metriorhynchidae (Mesoeucrocodylia: Thalattosuchia) based on evidence from microscopic denticle morphology. Journal of Vertebrate Paleontology 30(5):1451-1465 [M. Young/M. Young]

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Thanks for the paper :) looking forward to finding more about it (I wasn't really expecting Rhacehosaurus to appear in a metryorhynchid paper, though)...

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

Thanks Piranha for the correct spelling. Without knowledge of the genus, finding the correct spelling would be difficult. Google search did not find the correct spelling when I searched for the incorrect one. See Wikipedia article with references.     https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhacheosaurus

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

@piranha Thanks for the correction

And sorry for spreading misinformation, guys :(

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

1 minute ago, The Amateur Paleontologist said:

@piranha Thanks for the correction

And sorry for spreading misinformation, guys :(

It wasn't your fault.  PBDB has it wrong on the page you linked.  It is correct at another entry at PBDB.  Typos happen!  lol :P

image.png.174a624420c6bf7eeed3243b05f455d5.png

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Ok, thanks for the info.. I hadn't considered the option that it was a typo :headscratch:

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

Archived