Kane’s Trilobite Drawings

Kane

It's nearly 6 am here, so i'm off for a kip. 

Let's see if someone else wants to pick this time.

If not I'll punish you further by choosing something pencil-snortingly difficult tomorrow sometime. :P

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

It is mind-boggling precision ! It may be that if you make a picture of your trilobite it will be less beautiful ! :default_clap2:

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

12 hours ago, Kane said:

Thanks, Tim. :) 

I'm just glad it is done as I didn't think it would ever be finished. :default_faint:

Any time I have to do lots of pustules, I always think of @fossilcrazy and his steady work on the Rochester lichids. 

Pustules are the worst, I get bored to tears trying to finish the piece.

Dicranopeltus.jpg

• I found this Informative 12

Okay then, the pustules of Dicranopeltis it is, please, Kane. :)

Unless anyone else wants to suggest a bug. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

I'm happy to see John here with his exquisite drawing! :trilosurprise:

But now it would look silly for me to supply one of my own of the same species as no one would be able to see it under the shadow this tremendous illustration would cast. :D 

Sorry, Adam... I have it plotted, but it may have to be demoted on the list. :P 

• I found this Informative 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

:default_faint:

I just found this thread this morning.  WOW, Kane - these drawings are unbelievable!!!  They look better than photographs!!!  I am speechless.

• 2 weeks later...

One positive thing about this time is that I've been looking through threads I hadn't paid much attention too. This one is stunning, fantastic drawings. :wub:

Tarquin

Thanks for the very kind words. :) 

If I can continue to grow and develop the practice, then it is certainly all the more worthwhile. 

Taking just a small hiatus from pushing the pencils about to swinging the hammers. I'm sure rainy days will see me back at the dining room table soon enough, though!

On 7/1/2019 at 4:12 PM, Kane said:

Oof. This was an 18 hour job, but it fills the entire page. 

Materials: Pencils (H, HB, 3B, 6B), blending stick.

IMG_6101.JPG

:default_faint:Your drawings are phenomenal.  They look like photographs and conjure up reflections of old natural history books.  Love them.

• I found this Informative 3

13 hours ago, Peat Burns said:

:default_faint:Your drawings are phenomenal.  They look like photographs and conjure up reflections of old natural history books.  Love them.

Thank you! :) i do really hope to get back to the drawing table soon... if I can pry myself away from the field and the prep bench. :D With respect to those old natural history books, I do draw a great deal of inspiration from them, like the plates in Linsley by (and in) Hall & Clarke, et al, but also the more contemporary artists (among my favourites being the work of Jay Matternes :wub:). 

• I found this Informative 3

4 hours ago, Kane said:

Thank you! :) i do really hope to get back to the drawing table soon... if I can pry myself away from the field and the prep bench. :D With respect to those old natural history books, I do draw a great deal of inspiration from them, like the plates in Linsley, Hall & Clarke, et al, but also the more contemporary artists (among my favourites being the work of Jay Matternes :wub:). 

Love Matternes' work.  He may be responsible for my prehistoric life obsession. 

I just went through this thread and admit I fast-forwarded to each of the drawings.  Did you discuss anywhere your set-up in terms of how you avoid unintentionally smudging the art while you are working?  I am notorious for focusing on one area while unknowingly destroying something else (happens in prep, too, haha.).  Do you cover areas on which you are not working?  What do you use?  Just a piece of paper?

1 hour ago, Peat Burns said:

Love Matternes' work.  He may be responsible for my prehistoric life obsession. 

I just went through this thread and admit I fast-forwarded to each of the drawings.  Did you discuss anywhere your set-up in terms of how you avoid unintentionally smudging the art while you are working?  I am notorious for focusing on one area while unknowingly destroying something else (happens in prep, too, haha.).  Do you cover areas on which you are not working?  What do you use?  Just a piece of paper?

I'm sometimes the same in prep. :P 

In terms of keeping my greasy hands off the drawing, I use either a plastic sleeve or glossy card stock. And I never ever blow eraser rubbings with my own lung power... But I also almost never use an eraser (more often than not, I'll just use it to lighten a too dark spot or just to remove a pencil mark that went beyond the edge). I use a clean brush for that. And whenever the drawing in progress will be left unattended, even to get up and fetch a drink, I secure a plastic sheet in case of sudden cat prints. :D 

• I found this Informative 2

• 4 months later...

Just found this topic...wow. What a wonderful talent and passion. I look forward to your future works!

On 5/9/2020 at 12:18 PM, Kane said:

And I never ever blow eraser rubbings with my own lung power... But I also almost never use an eraser (more often than not, I'll just use it to lighten a too dark spot or just to remove a pencil mark that went beyond the edge).

Do you know of kneaded erasers?

"Argumentation cannot suffice for the discovery of new work, since the subtlety of Nature is greater many times than the subtlety of argument." - Carl Sagan

"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there." - Richard Feynman

Collections: Hell Creek Microsite | Hell Creek/Lance | Dinosaurs | Sharks | SquamatesPost Oak Creek | North Sulphur RiverLee Creek | Aguja | Permian | Devonian | Triassic | Harding Sandstone

Instagram: @thephysicist_tff

I just found this thread too and spent like half an hour looking through al of Kane's awesome work. All of them either look like you took a picture of a trilobite or it looks like it will just walk off the page. Your talent is insane. 

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

Thank you, gents. :) 

Yes, I have a kneaded eraser, but I try to use those very sparingly as any erasing takes the "tooth" out of the paper needed to "catch" the graphite. 

I've been fairly busy collecting this year, but as things wind down and we head into winter I do have a number of new specimens to draw.

• I found this Informative 2

23 minutes ago, Kane said:

I've been fairly busy collecting this year, but as things wind down and we head into winter I do have a number of new specimens to draw.

Can't wait! :popcorn:

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, jeannie55 said:

I am very impressed. Do you have a website? 

If you visit Kane's profile you can find a link to his website ;)

• 1 month later...

It's been way too long since I pushed a few pencils around. This year being out in the field did me many favours for finding fossils, but it meant neglecting sustained desk work.

Now that winter is here, time to shake the dust off and get back to it. 

An Odontocephalus aegeria. Many of the specimens I've seen have this kind of lateral distortion.

The usual materials: standard printer paper, pencils (HB, 3H, 3B), blending stump, tortillon.

Hopefully a few more drawings this winter!

IMG_8807.jpg

• I found this Informative 13

Beautiful as always! :wub:

Always nice to have something to aspire for, perhaps in 30 years I'll be able to draw something like that!