Kane’s Trilobite Drawings

Kane

Another stunning drawing!

• Thank You 1

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

On 12/23/2022 at 4:20 PM, Kane said:

Time to get the dust off the pencils, and the rust out of my doodling. As usual, the camera and light washes out all the neat detail, but the gist of it is here. Finished this up while a bit bleary-eyed with a wretched sinus cold, so I'm sure there are some mishaps. :P 

8EA9763C-160E-4B73-9FDE-A4454D3EBB4D.jpeg

Your drawings are incredible.  How long did it take to draw this?  What is the longest time you have spent on a drawing (Is it posted in this thread?)?  Do you have these drawings framed and hung up on your walls?  Are any of your drawings in publications (definitely should be)?

Marco Sr.

• Thank You 1

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

45 minutes ago, MarcoSr said:

Your drawings are incredible.  How long did it take to draw this?  What is the longest time you have spent on a drawing (Is it posted in this thread?)?  Do you have these drawings framed and hung up on your walls?  Are any of your drawings in publications (definitely should be)?

Marco Sr.

Thank you, Marco. :) 

This one was a relatively "easy" one, so I'd say about 10-12 hours off and on throughout the week. The longest I've spent is probably about 50 or more hours over a few weeks (any of the lichids with all the pustules are likely suspects for much more time required).

They all sit somewhat unceremoniously in plastic sleeves in a binder, portfolio style, but I hope one day to hang a few. My wife once did a scan of several of them that were printed as a calendar and sent to a few fossil comrades as Christmas presents, and even a few t-shirts made. In terms of publications, some of them have appeared in a few issues of The Trilobite Papers, which is an annual trilobite newsletter originally run by the late, great Rolf Ludvigsen, and has been resurrected by Fred Sundberg in recent years.

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Very nice drawings, I wish I had the skill to go beyond stick figures.  Approx how long does it take to do one like your last one?

• Thank You 1

52 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Very nice drawings, I wish I had the skill to go beyond stick figures.  Approx how long does it take to do one like your last one?

I'd say about 10-12 hours spread out over a week. I find I don't like sitting for too long. :D 

• Thank You 1

WOW!!! Another stunning drawing! 

I never would have guessed that you had finished this up while you had a cold. 

Thanks for sharing! :)

Shalom,

-Micah

• Thank You 1

Another excellent drawing to add to the portfolio! :thumbsu:

• Thank You 1

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Another critter is brought back to life by the Amazing Kane. Magical.

• Thank You 1

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

I just found this thread for the first time.  These are amazing!  You are so talented!

• Thank You 1

Fin Lover

image.png.e69a5608098eeb4cd7d1fc5feb4dad1e.png image.png.e6c66193c1b85b1b775526eb958f72df.png image.png.65903ff624a908a6c80f4d36d6ff8260.png

image.png.7cefa5ccc279142681efa4b7984dc6cb.png

My favorite things about fossil hunting: getting out of my own head, getting into nature and, if I’m lucky, finding some cool souvenirs.

Last doodle for 2022, fittingly taking 22 hours. Light toned subjects take a bit longer on account of a different pencil layering process (and not being able to hide mistakes in shadows or darker tones). 

IMG_0817.JPG

• I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 11

On 12/30/2022 at 1:51 PM, Kane said:

Last doodle for 2022, fittingly taking 22 hours. Light toned subjects take a bit longer on account of a different pencil layering process (and not being able to hide mistakes in shadows or darker tones). 

IMG_0817.JPG

That looks really nice, Kane!! :dinothumb: 

Keep up the good work!

Cheers and Shalom,

-Micah

• Thank You 1

• 2 weeks later...

I can only join those asking for a publication, I would buy it! Beautiful work.

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

• 3 months later...

I can’t believe I have only now stumbled across this thread! That is some stunning work Kane, I could’ve sworn I was looking at black and white pictures for half of these trilobites. I was impressed by the sketches in Jasper Burns’ popular book Fossil Collecting in the Mid-Atlantic States, but these illustrations simply blow them away. To add my voice to those of the others I would love to see a publication graced by these fantastic works! :Smiling:

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 2

• 1 month later...
On 1/12/2023 at 4:19 AM, Mahnmut said:

I can only join those asking for a publication, I would buy it! Beautiful work.

An exquisitely illustrated trilobite calendar for 2024 would make a delightful addition to any enthusiast's collection.:default_clap2:

• I Agree 2

One fossil a day will keep you happy all day:rolleyes:

Welcome to the FOSSIL ART