Kane’s Trilobite Drawings

Kane

2 hours ago, Bob Saunders said:

One from an old collection. maybe you can use the detail for another drawing? I have done a few insect drawings. 

trilobite.JPG

Would be great to see some of your insect drawings! 

I have a few Elrathia and Asaphiscus on hand, and haven't thought to draw them yet (they are so flat!). For the flatter ones, I might need to experiment with dynamic lighting to make them "pop" from the page.

I like to have the specimen in hand to experiment with position/perspective so I can turn and pose them in ways that make for an intriguing composition.

• I found this Informative 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

This morning's effort: a Coltraneia from my cabinet. The eye lenses were a tricky business! Might have to retake the photo -- darn light glare on the graphite around the cephalon. 

IMG_5675.JPG

• I found this Informative 12

1 hour ago, Kane said:

Sunday's result, with tubercle, terrace lines, and crush damage cracks:

Jaw dropping artwork. I'm speechless.

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

3 minutes ago, Pagurus said:

Jaw dropping artwork. I'm speechless.

Thank you, Mike. :) I just hope I don't run out of trilobites to draw! 

On 2/10/2019 at 4:00 PM, Kane said:

... I just hope I don't run out of trilobites to draw! 

If you do run out I would think ammonites would be a good critter to try.  :ammonite01: 

Definitely a great idea. I just need to acquire some that have some detailed complexities to them to make it even more interesting and challenging (crisp suture lines, serpulids, etc.). 

• I found this Informative 1

• 4 weeks later...

Close-up of the lichid (the lighting in my house is awful). 

IMG_5714.JPG

• I found this Informative 9

4 hours ago, rebu said:

Amazing again, well done :dinothumb: how big are these drawings? Is it on A4? Really beautiful 

Thank you! :) The drawings are not too big, but on a  standard 8.5" x 11" (21.59 cm x 27.94 cm) paper (in printing, that is classed as Letter or ANSI size I think). When I'm done, I slip them into a plastic sleeve and put them in a duotang. Growing up not so well-to-do, it was the only size of paper I usually got my hands on, so I got used to working in that size. :D 

3 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Once again: very nice! Are you going to have a stab at trying to draw them in their natural habitat at some point?

Thanks, Roger. :) I haven't thought about that yet, but that's a great idea to put them in their living context (and I can have a few nautiloids zipping around, too :P ). One idea I've been toying with, and that would take much longer to execute, would be to cram/fit several trilobites into a kind of M.C. Escher-style tile arrangement showing a creative transition.

• I found this Informative 2

Amazing work, Kane. 

Color me impressed! :) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

These are awesome. They capture the 3D form so much better than photographs. Absolutely you should be illustrating trilobite fossils professionally! It’s one of those situations where your love of the subject allows you to concentrate your talent so acutely that you blow everyone else away. Although the subject matter is a bit different they remind me of illustrations from a book called ‘the unfeathered bird’ which itself is a thing of beauty. It’s the depth you are able to create in a b/w image from such a small object that gets me!!:dinothumb::dinothumb::dinothumb:!

19 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Amazing work, Kane. 

Color me impressed! :) 

Thanks, Tim :) ... Just so long as I don't have to colour the pictures just yet (been far too long since I worked in colour!).

13 minutes ago, Andyl said:

These are awesome. They capture the 3D form so much better than photographs. Absolutely you should be illustrating trilobite fossils professionally! It’s one of those situations where your love of the subject allows you to concentrate your talent so acutely that you blow everyone else away. Although the subject matter is a bit different they remind me of illustrations from a book called ‘the unfeathered bird’ which itself is a thing of beauty. It’s the depth you are able to create in a b/w image from such a small object that gets me!!:dinothumb::dinothumb::dinothumb:!

Thanks! :) I've honestly hadn't thought about it, although illustration and animation was an almost taken path a few decades ago. The one idea I had, book-wise, might be when I have about 100 or so of these, high-res scan them, and have them bound into books as gifts for trilobite aficionado friends (we have a few places that allow one to easily transfer image files, print and bind). But I'm going to check out that book, Unfeathered Bird for some delightful eye candy, so my thanks as well for the recommendation! (Edit: Just clapped eyes on some of the images and they are incredible! The book is fairly priced, too). 

Just saw this topic for the first time. WOW, those trilobites are beautiful, and each drawing lets your style come through. [Starts downloading, cutting, pasting images into one file to print new fossil room wallpapers]

58 minutes ago, Kane said:

One idea I've been toying with, and that would take much longer to execute, would be to cram/fit several trilobites into a kind of M.C. Escher-style tile arrangement showing a creative transition.

Now that would be interesting!

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

On 2/8/2019 at 2:23 PM, Kane said:

I completed my first commissioned trilobite drawing today. I was asked to draw another Eldredgeops rana, so after 3.5 hours, here it is. :) 

IMG_5673.JPG

I envy the lucky client who asked for this one! :P

Jay A. Wollin

Lead Fossil Educator - Penn Dixie Fossil Park and Nature Reserve

Hamburg, New York, USA

On 3/10/2019 at 8:38 AM, Scylla said:

Just saw this topic for the first time. WOW, those trilobites are beautiful, and each drawing lets your style come through. [Starts downloading, cutting, pasting images into one file to print new fossil room wallpapers]

Thanks! :) 

7 hours ago, Malcolmt said:

Kane these are amazing...cant wait to see them in person soon........

Thanks, Malcolm! Maybe you'll see them in person soon if you're free on Friday or so and looking to get out to our spot. I'm seeing warmer temps and sun.

8 hours ago, DevonianDigger said:

I envy the lucky client who asked for this one! :P

Lol. The client's an odd one, some kind of glitter pony or something. :P 

8 hours ago, DevonianDigger said:

@Malcolmt, are you going to join us the 26th at PD?

Its my sons and my birthday on May 1. (yes he was born on my birthday). I will officially be a real senior at the grand old age of 65. He is thinking of bringing the family and newborn grandson down to visit that weekend (they live 5 hours away). If they are coming the wife is planning a bit of a party for us on the 27th. So it all comes down to if they decide to come down or not. If they come then I cannot go anywhere as I have only seen the new grandson the week he was born

On 3/9/2019 at 8:00 PM, Kane said:

Close-up of the lichid (the lighting in my house is awful). 

IMG_5714.JPG

Nice artwork, I love the lichid plautini one the best. If you want a little chuckle I came across this like 5 minutes ago. Funny mistake if you catch it. https://m.facebook.com/nmnh.fanpage/photos/a.84275098229.80802.9974533229/10153969613353230/?type=3 

• 2 weeks later...

F58E10FF-C934-4C24-B0B5-00C2B1A2383E.jpeg

I should mention that Deb found this wee roller in Bowmanville. She has had some amazing luck there, including two (sadly incomplete) Leviceraurus mammiloides. I prepped this diminutive bug back in January and have been meaning to sketch it for a while. The tips of the genal spines are broken off, but it's still mostly complete. 

• I found this Informative 6