Kane’s Trilobite Drawings

Kane

• 4 weeks later...

Well, a snowy Sunday means a bit of relaxing and puttering. I figured I'd put pencil to paper and draw one of my favourite bugs. I tried to ensure each segment was unique, while also capturing the cracks that run through it when one finds them.

Slowly but surely I'm getting the hand-eye coordination I had 20 years ago when I used to draw all the time. :) 

IMG_5642.JPG

• I found this Informative 20

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Great work Kane! Almost as nice as having a real one to look at!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Thanks, gents. :) Drawing trilos is a bit trickier for me than drawing people!

Very nice! I like when drawings show more realistic depictions of fossils. It gives it more uniqueness, I think.

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

Very nice!

It really comes out of the paper.

J

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

Taking a break from grading essays, I gave the pencil another go. This is a prone Greenops. The shading is not as crisp in gradation as it could have been, but I was only using an HB pencil. I did get the pustules and eye lenses on it, which gives it a bit of texture.

IMG_5656.JPG

• I found this Informative 23

This looks excellent, Kane. :wub: 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thanks, Tim. :) Took me just over an hour. Not sure which bug I'll try sketching next... :headscratch::trilo:

That's a wonderful drawing, Kane!! Absolutely love it :D

By the way...

14 minutes ago, Kane said:

Taking a break from grading essays

What do you teach?

-Christian

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

3 minutes ago, The Amateur Paleontologist said:

That's a wonderful drawing, Kane!! Absolutely love it :D

By the way...

What do you teach?

-Christian

It varies depending on which academic unit, but mostly political economy of information/media, social media, propaganda, strategic planning for local governments, and various workshops/webinars on municipal gov't issues. I've taught in law and other programs in the past, as well as some guest lecturing in mgt organizational studies and the arts. 

• I found this Informative 1

11 minutes ago, Kane said:

It varies depending on which academic unit, but mostly political economy of information/media, social media, propaganda, strategic planning for local governments, and various workshops/webinars on municipal gov't issues. I've taught in law and other programs in the past, as well as some guest lecturing in mgt organizational studies and the arts. 

Truly, a man of many talents! Great work Kane!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Always in awe of those with artistic talents.

:envy:

Cheers.

-Ken

P.S.: Cooler weather got you inside for a spell? With the current temps outside in London (Ontario) at -17C, I'd guess you would be changing from a short sleeve t-shirt to a long-sleeve now. :P

1 hour ago, Kane said:

What I'd call a polymath ;) Rather cool!

-Christian

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

This is an awesome drawing! Very talented!! :fistbump:

I think it would look great framed, matted and hanging in @Fossil-Hound's fossil room in the new house!

I would even be willing to ask his wife's permission to save him the evil look she will give. :D

Don't know much about history

Don't know much biology

Don't know much about science books.........

Sam Cooke - (What A) Wonderful World

Thanks all -- you are very kind. :) I just completed another one, as I sometimes get into a "mode."

@FossilFrenzy -- I definitely would love to draw those! At the moment, I'm just sketching from my collection, and I sadly don't have either of those species (yet).

@digit -- With wind chill, -30ish Celsius, which is cold even for me (you can imagine how pleasant it was for us stepping out into it to reach our car, parked furthest away, after an intense hour of kickboxing tonight :blink: ). 

This one is the humble Eldredgeops rana. I did my best to capture all its unique "flaws" (distortions from compaction, mostly), and worked to have it fill most of the page so that I could fuss over the pustular details.

IMG_5660.jpg

• I found this Informative 17

great jod on thos drawings.  Do you also draw cephalopods :D ? 

growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Hi Kane I did not know you are an artiist too. Fantastic drawing by the way, very well realised . You have your work cut out for you if you’re drawing one of every species in your collection but I would buy the book.  Beautiful  :wub:

Beautiful indeed.

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

Wow,

that's talent!:trilosurprise:

"The baneful Dragons, O Seas, are gone: Fiends, 0 Earth, have filled thee with the bones of Defeat and Death."