Kane’s Trilobite Drawings

Kane

Thanks all... :blush: I had forgotten how fun it can be. And, now that I'm pretty much out of big prep jobs, I need something fossil-related to get my fix until the snow blankets are yanked off.

@Manticocerasman -- No, I haven't thought of drawing cephs yet, but I think the ones I have are a bit too plain! 

@Bobby Rico - I would say that your own multi-faceted creative works may have inspired some of us to have a go at it ourselves! A whole 'nundred' bugs, you say? Maybe! I might have to buy a few more boxes of pencils. :D 

@FossilFrenzy -- You should definitely attempt a trilobite. They seem so deceptively simple, but it can get complicated in a hurry!

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

10 hours ago, Kane said:

This one is the humble Eldredgeops rana. I did my best to capture all its unique "flaws" (distortions from compaction, mostly), and worked to have it fill most of the page so that I could fuss over the pustular details.

IMG_5660.jpg

:trilosurprise::blink::faint: Awesome!

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

48 minutes ago, Kane said:

Maybe! I might have to buy a few more boxes of pencils.

You will not be wasting you money when your drawings as fine is as theses. 

Leaping lizards! Those drawings are wonderful! That Eldredgeops would be right at home in a leather-bound tome. I'm glad you're finding the time and inclination to draw again. Those drawings are a real pleasure to look at. Thanks for sharing them.

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

On 1/31/2019 at 5:19 PM, SailingAlongToo said:

This is an awesome drawing! Very talented!! :fistbump:

I think it would look great framed, matted and hanging in @Fossil-Hound's fossil room in the new house!

I would even be willing to ask his wife's permission to save him the evil look she will give. :D

Ha. Jack I learned long ago that any gorgeous fossil drawings such as this are only permitted in my personal office. If only Mrs Fossil Hound knew the true value of such gorgeous drawings. Well done @Kane

Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

On 1/31/2019 at 10:17 PM, Kane said:

Thanks all -- you are very kind. :) I just completed another one, as I sometimes get into a "mode."

@FossilFrenzy -- I definitely would love to draw those! At the moment, I'm just sketching from my collection, and I sadly don't have either of those species (yet).

@digit -- With wind chill, -30ish Celsius, which is cold even for me (you can imagine how pleasant it was for us stepping out into it to reach our car, parked furthest away, after an intense hour of kickboxing tonight :blink: ). 

This one is the humble Eldredgeops rana. I did my best to capture all its unique "flaws" (distortions from compaction, mostly), and worked to have it fill most of the page so that I could fuss over the pustular details.

IMG_5660.jpg

That is down right gorgeous.

Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

You're kidding me, right? Anyone who doesn't know that we're buds might take this to be mean-spirited... but you suck, lol. 

You weren't content with being the human backhoe and hauling the best bugs? You had to draw them too!? 

Incredibly nice drawings, seriously. 

Jay A. Wollin

Lead Fossil Educator - Penn Dixie Fossil Park and Nature Reserve

Hamburg, New York, USA

Sunday afternoon was an opportunity to draw two more -- an asaphid and a proetid from my collection. 

IMG_5665.JPG

IMG_5666.JPG

• I found this Informative 13

Another amazing piece!:trilo:

"The baneful Dragons, O Seas, are gone: Fiends, 0 Earth, have filled thee with the bones of Defeat and Death."

15 minutes ago, ReptileTooth said:

Another amazing piece!:trilo:

Thanks! :) 

I'm just about ready for the challenge of sketching one of those ridiculously spiny trilobites... But I'd have to actually own one first. :P 

As I don't teach on Tuesdays, I get the day to myself. 

When I can't go out to collect trilobites, I prep 'em.

When I have no trilobites to prep, I draw 'em. :D 

This one is an arching Paralejurus. The challenge was the terracing lines:

IMG_5670.JPG

• I found this Informative 14

And this one is a Scabriscutellum furciferum. This one was very nitpicky on details.

Not sure what my next challenge will be. I would love to draw a Ceraurus, but I don't have any fully complete ones unless I find one this year, or @Malcolmt gives me one, lol. 

IMG_5671.JPG

• I found this Informative 14

7 minutes ago, Kane said:

And this one is a Scabriscutellum furciferum. This one was very nitpicky on details.

Not sure what my next challenge will be. I would love to draw a Ceraurus, but I don't have any fully complete ones unless I find one this year, or @Malcolmt gives me one, lol. 

IMG_5671.JPG

Your attention to detail is amazing, well done. Love your drawings, you got your self a fan in Czech republic :) can't wait for the next one.

• I found this Informative 1

59 minutes ago, rebu said:

Your attention to detail is amazing, well done. Love your drawings, you got your self a fan in Czech republic :) can't wait for the next one.

Thank you! :) I'll see what I can do on Friday... I might have a few lined up by then. 

Stellar work, my friend...and in a medium I really enjoy.  :fistbump:

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Wish I could help you with the Ceraurus, I have two species, but I only have cephalons I'm afraid. I could lend you my Walliserops trifurcatus. Or... if you really feel like a fun time maybe a Kettneraspis or Ceratarges

Jay A. Wollin

Lead Fossil Educator - Penn Dixie Fossil Park and Nature Reserve

Hamburg, New York, USA

9 hours ago, DevonianDigger said:

Wish I could help you with the Ceraurus, I have two species, but I only have cephalons I'm afraid. I could lend you my Walliserops trifurcatus. Or... if you really feel like a fun time maybe a Kettneraspis or Ceratarges

My two Ceraurus are also incomplete... One with everything but the tail, and another that is enrolled but no spines. My Ceratarges is disarticulated. Kettneraspis is an idea, though, and it is to my shame that I don't have one yet. :blush:

1 minute ago, DevonianDigger said:

Then you could draw pictures of Malcolm. Draw him like one of your French girls, Kane. Lol!

Well, I have been practicing sketching hobos with oboes... :P But in all seriousness, I have given thought to sketching some of our field comrades at some point. :ninja: Illustrations might go well with writing up an old-timey fossil collector retrospective.

I completed my first commissioned trilobite drawing today. I was asked to draw another Eldredgeops rana, so after 3.5 hours, here it is. :) 

IMG_5673.JPG

• I found this Informative 12

It's coming back to life and out of paper sheet!:trilosurprise:

"The baneful Dragons, O Seas, are gone: Fiends, 0 Earth, have filled thee with the bones of Defeat and Death."

One from an old collection. maybe you can use the detail for another drawing? I have done a few insect drawings. 

trilobite.JPG