Kane’s Trilobite Drawings

Kane

Thanks, gents. :) This one will be tough to top in terms of interesting subject.

And, Mike, hopefully we are seeing you next weekend?

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

1 hour ago, Kane said:

And, Mike, hopefully we are seeing you next weekend?

I do wish I could see you all next weekend, but I won't be able to make it this year. Eye problems will keep me away, I'm sorry to say. And keeping with this thread, I wanted to ask you what magnifier you've been using when working on your drawings? I think I'm going to have to change my habits once I get new lenses in my eyes soon. The way I work now I have to take off my glasses and draw with my head about four inches from the paper. Not ideal but it's been working. That will change soon, for the better I hope. I'm thinking I've been planning on getting an Optivisor for prepping and detailed drawing, but the photo you posted looks like it might be something else? Anyway, I hope you all have a terrific weekend!

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

15 minutes ago, Pagurus said:

I do wish I could see you all next weekend, but I won't be able to make it this year. Eye problems will keep me away, I'm sorry to say. And keeping with this thread, I wanted to ask you what magnifier you've been using when working on your drawings? I think I'm going to have to change my habits once I get new lenses in my eyes soon. The way I work now I have to take off my glasses and draw with my head about four inches from the paper. Not ideal but it's been working. That will change soon, for the better I hope. I'm thinking I've been planning on getting an Optivisor for prepping and detailed drawing, but the photo you posted looks like it might be something else? Anyway, I hope you all have a terrific weekend!

Best of luck on the new and improved peeper extensions! Sad you won't be joining us, but if you can't see us very well (or the fossils), then you might have come home with a lot of fuzzy lumps! In terms of magnifier, I have three I rely on: 1) The adjustable lamp has a magnifier on it; 2) those 1950s mad scientist goggles in the picture (they have little directional LED lights, and you can flip each of the lenses up -- each which can be changed from 5x -25x); and, 3) The iPad, which I can use to snap a picture and zoom very close, or when I am drawing from a photo. With the goggles, you need to get up within an inch or two of the specimen, which can be tricky when switching back to the paper. 

Latest... Some small mistakes I can’t fix, sadly, but ok enough for the book.

Pencils (HB, H, 3B, 6B), standard white paper. 

fullsizeoutput_510.jpeg

• I found this Informative 9

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/31/2018 at 9:13 AM, Northern Sharks said:
On 7/31/2018 at 9:06 AM, Walt said:

Very good.  I like the shadowing.  And...what's cursive? :)

Writing "naughty" words. For a rusty artist, I'd say your sketches came out great Kane.

As a youngster, my daughter once opined; "My father speaks fluent cursive!"

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

wow! Incredible drawings! I am an artist as well. I have not attempted drawing any fossils from my collection but have done a couple of ink drawings of Paleolithic stone tools in my collection. 

Thanks, all. :) 

And now for something I haven't tried in a very long time: white pencil on black paper. 

fullsizeoutput_522.jpeg

• I found this Informative 5

Another for the book... Mostly just H, with some HB for shadow accenting.

0BC0EC1D-F68F-4F83-9B90-AF7EE5EF9458.jpeg

• I found this Informative 6

5 hours ago, nivek1969 said:

stunning talent!

Thank you! :) Any chance you'll think of letting the ink flow to draw some of your fossils? I know I'd be excited to see what you produce!

• I found this Informative 1

Nothing more clearly says "don't eat me" like being covered in spines. :P 

Pencils: H, HB, 3B, some 6B

12 hours.

fullsizeoutput_527.jpeg

8 hours ago, Kane said:

Thank you! :) Any chance you'll think of letting the ink flow to draw some of your fossils? I know I'd be excited to see what you produce!

I have some older collages that include dinos. I haven't really drawn fossils, just paleolithic tools in my collection. I do want to start drawing fossils, but yours are so snarge good! It is inspiring! Thank you!

On 5/11/2019 at 2:23 PM, Kane said:

And now for something I haven't tried in a very long time: white pencil on black paper

It looks like an ad for a horror movie.  Beautiful. As are all the rest, of course. I can barely imagine drawing with white pencil on black paper. I'll have to try it sometime, but drawing everything that isn't there is probably too much for my little brain to handle.

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

Just now, Pagurus said:

It looks like an ad for a horror movie.  Beautiful. As are all the rest, of course. I can barely imagine drawing with white pencil on black paper. I'll have to try it sometime, but drawing everything that isn't there is probably too much for my little brain to handle.

Ha! I can picture that... One of those 1950s sci-fi thrillers, "It Came From the Devonian!"

You should definitely try the white pencil. It's strange at first to draw light rather than shadow, but saves the hand cramps if drawing something cast heavily in shadow. 

Another white on black. I expect to draw two more spiny bugs this coming week.

IMG_5945.JPG

A tangle of thorny spines.

Time: 8.5 hours

Materials: Pencils (H, HB, 3B 6B), standard 8.5"x11" white bond paper.

If only my pencils could be sharpened to microscopic tips, there would be even more detail. I could spend 8 hours on one square centimetre.

IMG_5950.jpg

• I found this Informative 7

In the hopper...

- Boedaspis - COMPLETED 05/22

- Asaphus kowalewskii - COMPLETED 05/26

- Walliserops - IN PROGRESS

- an enrollment series - DRAFT STAGE

- Pyritized Triarthrus - COMPLETED 05/25

- Cyphaspis - COMPLETED 05/28

- Kettneraspis - DRAFT STAGE

Any trilo requests? I’ve clocked 27 pictures so far with a goal of hitting 50 for the year, at which point I’ll scan them and bind them in a glossy book to be sent as gifts to some folks. Of the drawings so far, which should be the cover?

Time: 8 hours

Materials: pencils (H,HB, 6B, silk black), burnisher, white paper.

EEA4303B-B834-462A-A46D-FE4A12B9DFC4.jpeg

• I found this Informative 7

Incredible work, my friend.  :tiphat:

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thanks, Tim. :) It looks a bit better under a white rather than yellow light. I definitely need a new lamp. :P

Another colour challenge: a pyritized Triarthrus. It would be so easy to just use the gold colouring pencil, but those types of pencils are not suitable to give a more realistic gold colour. 

So here is the palette I've settled on to be the alchemist and transmute these into gold: 

IMG_5973.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

Sadly, there is absolutely no way I can take a picture of a drawing on black paper without parts of it washing out from light or being suffused with noise in shadow. I've included a closeup of the detail to indicate what is really going on, colour-wise. 

IMG_5987.JPG

fullsizeoutput_542.jpeg

Thanks to @Scylla and @Fossildude19 for the suggestion to take on the gold bugs. :) 

• I found this Informative 9