Kane’s Trilobite Drawings

Kane

Thanks all. :) I'll be working out of town this week, but I do have some other bugs in the rough draft pile that need detailing (a proetid, a Ceratarges). More to come -- and I'm always open to recommendations. 

@Malcolmt -- It's always a great treat when Roger visits. Sorry you couldn't join our little chain gang this time around. For once, the weather was perfect. I'll actually be relatively close by to your neck of the woods the next few days (just south of the airport/401).

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

I finally saw this topic. Your drawings are top notch and you should submit a portfolio to scientific book publishers who still utilize drawings. Excellent!

• I found this Informative 1

On 6/24/2019 at 7:11 PM, Malcolmt said:

Well I can't draw  but I did have the pleasure of spending the afternoon with Roger today having a few beverages and enjoying his company....... Next time we have to go out in the field.....Unfortunately and to my regret I was a no show for Roger and Kane's excursion this past weekend....... Monica we tried to invite you over after school today but I just realized I do not have your number.... P.S.you still have fossils in my basement ...........

20190624_182650.thumb.jpg.315a961d07b50cdec0c67bf4f351c6df.jpg

How flattering! A spaghetti and meatballs-chewing trilobite? Thanks again for your hospitality, Malcolm. And I did enjoy the concert despite the bad acoustics.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

On 2019-06-25 at 7:32 AM, Kane said:

@Malcolmt -- It's always a great treat when Roger visits. 

And it’s always a delight to spend time with you and Deb. We’ll just have to make sure next time that Malcolm’s there too regardless of the prospects.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

On 6/27/2019 at 5:04 PM, DrDave said:

I finally saw this topic. Your drawings are top notch and you should submit a portfolio to scientific book publishers who still utilize drawings. Excellent!

Thank you! Not many of those publishers left in these days of high res photography, but I do have some of the classics that I very much cherish. 

On 6/27/2019 at 7:15 PM, Ludwigia said:

And it’s always a delight to spend time with you and Deb. We’ll just have to make sure next time that Malcolm’s there too regardless of the prospects.

And always great to have you over. We'll get Malcolm over even if we have to schedule his orchestra to play at the site. :D 

Oof. This was an 18 hour job, but it fills the entire page. 

Materials: Pencils (H, HB, 3B, 6B), blending stick.

IMG_6101.JPG

• I found this Informative 11

3 minutes ago, Kane said:

This was an 18 hour job, but it fills the entire page. 

You should really consider exhibiting them. It really would be a great shame if more people don’t get to see your work.  Beautiful drawing.   :wub:

13 minutes ago, Kane said:

Oof. This was an 18 hour job, but it fills the entire page.

Materials: Pencils (H, HB, 3B, 6B), blending stick.

IMG_6101.JPG

partu3-smiley.gif?1292867650  canad fireworks smileypartu3-smiley.gif?1292867650

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

2 hours ago, Bobby Rico said:

You should really consider exhibiting them. It really would be a great shame if more people don’t get to see your work.  Beautiful drawing.   :wub:

Agreed! They are ridiculously good and I think others would enjoy them very much! If only I could draw like that... :envy:

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

2 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Excellent! Did you use the camera thingamajig again?

That sounds interesting do you mean a Camera lucida ? 

Thanks, guys! :)

Yes, I’m using the camera lucida more often now to plot points. It’s an old Masters trick to ensure plotting so that the end result doesn’t get skewed. Off by a smidge on one part, off by a mile at the end, which then means scrapping or fudging the drawing.

I’m still a bit of a novice to exhibit, Bobby (not like you and the Mrs on your well earned honour!).  Maybe in 5-10 years as I develop (but this is more graphic art than “art” art). All I see are my technical mistakes. I need to keep doing this and practice more to refine this. I have some time left on the clock. :D

Scott, where do you find these emojis? :D

• 2 weeks later...

This month marks a one year anniversary of getting back into the pencils after a few decades. In the last year, I seem to have got the rust out and hopefully improved beyond my old drawing days.

I remember posing an interesting challenge to one of our other artistic members in going back and drawing the same subject a year from now to check for progress and improvement. If I was going to pose such a challenge, why not take it on as well?

So I took to drawing that Asaphus punctatus again, this time with the benefit of a lot more practice and patience. There has been much fumbling and learning over the year. A big thank-you to those kind members who have encouraged my doodling -- that has been a huge motivation for me. :) 

So here is the comparative drawings: from July of last year to July of this year:

IMG_5029.JPG

IMG_6136.JPG

• I found this Informative 13

Well, thats some progress, although comparing a quick sketch with an elaborate drawing doesn´t do the sketch justice.

Cheers,

J

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

1 minute ago, Mahnmut said:

Well, thats some progress, although comparing a quick sketch with an elaborate drawing doesn´t do the sketch justice.

Cheers,

J

True! But something tells me that had I taken more time back then, it might have looked somewhat similar to the quick sketch. :D In this case, it is a difference of 15 minutes versus 15 hours. Perhaps a more fair comparison will be to try this one again in July 2020!

One of two Canadian bugs cued up. The lighting in the photo doesn't really capture this one, but this gives the general idea. To get better images, I will either have to use a scanner or two-point lighting.

This one is a 3D example (many of them found in the black shales are entirely flattened, giving them more an ovoid shape). The "restorations" I've done on this compared to the AMNH specimen was to add the genal spines and one missing pleural tip. Their specimen is also more textured/granulated, but any of the ones I have collected are quite smooth like many similar asaphids, so I went with a smooth, "glossier" shell. Creative license, right? :P 

IMG_6170.JPG

• I found this Informative 8

“Gabby the Gabriceraurus” is finally done. This one took far longer than I anticipated.

743E18BB-6B32-4009-811E-64955239A9DA.jpeg

• I found this Informative 8

Wow, K-man!   :blink:  :default_faint:

This is exquisite work!  :wub: 

Kudos, my friend. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thanks, gents! :) 

Looks like I got it done in the nick of time, too... We're currently under a tornado warning. :blink:

Be safe, Kane.  :fear:

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

39 minutes ago, Kane said:

“Gabby the Gabriceraurus” is finally done. This one took far longer than I anticipated.

When I saw this one on your status earlier, I honestly thought it was an actual trilobite you were in the process of prepping. ~ Impressive drawing, to say the least. :)

I liked your drawing a year ago, and I still do. Your current drawings are incredible. The time you've spent figuring out how to get the image you want has obviously paid off. Outstanding work.   

Stay safe.

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.