Kane’s Trilobite Drawings

Kane

Thanks, all! :) 

@Bobby Rico: I had to create a new favourite at some point. :D Up to 35/50 on the year, so hopefully that scanned collection book will become a reality. I will have to decide on the cover.

@BLT: Thanks! Of course, having a real one to prep would make me beyond happy!

@Pagurus: Thanks, Mike. :) Setting up challenges really helps. I've learned that one can actually get a bit exhausted drawing for long periods of time.

No twister touchdowns around here, but severe t-storm warnings are still in effect, along with getting pretty baked under this heat in the eastern side of the continent (about 94 F, but 117 F with the humidity, which is like gasoline for these storm systems). There was hail on the east side of town, but bone dry over here with a sky that sounds like rumbling guts. Eerily still all afternoon. If the sky takes on the appearance of a romanticist painting, it's time to head indoors!

• I found this Informative 4

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

The newest. Lighting is a bit off for the photo, but this gives the general idea. :P 

This one almost didn't happen... I came close to scrapping it four times throughout the process over three days. One of the issues was that I needed to add successive layers and blending, but each layer/blend cycle removed the "tooth" from the paper (the microscopic peaks and valleys that capture the graphite). Once the paper’s tooth is gone, the pencil no longer transfers, and you may as well be using pencil on glass.

IMG_6194.JPG

• I found this Informative 11

Just show Mrs R your drawing and she loves them. Beautiful as works as ever. Cheers Bobby 

Thanks, Bobby (and to Mrs Rico, too). :) I'm sure you can relate to those instances when things are tough going and a bit frustrating, on the fence about whether to keep going or abandon ship. :P 

On 7/25/2019 at 4:56 PM, Kane said:

Thanks, Bobby (and to Mrs Rico, too). :) I'm sure you can relate to those instances when things are tough going and a bit frustrating, on the fence about whether to keep going or abandon ship. :P 

Did you mean, like, marriage?  :P

• I found this Informative 1

On 25/07/2019 at 9:56 PM, Kane said:

Yes of course you could take a sort break from drawing . Drawing is very hard work and can be exhausting.  Regarding your paper problem try looking into deferent papers or pencils but with your dark black losing the tooth is probably unavoidable. Just don’t give up. Bobby 

Took a few days, but it's done. I have one more left in me and it will be time to put the pencils down for a bit. 

IMG_6206.JPG

• I found this Informative 10

Unbelievable.

Preserved in massive layers of graphite.

J

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

@Kane

Trilobites aren’t my favourite fossil 

*raises voice to be heard above the outcry and boos*

But, I love these drawings and am amazed by the process.

it takes the attention to detail and patience of actually prepping these beasts out of rock - except you are conjuring them up out of paper and graphite

Bravo!

Would love to see your treatment of a Tumidocarcinus crab

• Enjoyed 1

Thank you, gents. :) 

And a Tumido would be a neat and different challenge. I've a T. giganteus in the queue now, and I'll see to it once the next bug is done. 

• 3 weeks later...

Between digs and some work, not much time to to get to the pencils. I have a backlog of commission work that I'm now trying to get to in sequence. To that end, this iconic bug:

IMG_6262.JPG

• I found this Informative 9

18 hours ago, Kane said:

Between digs and some work, not much time to to get to the pencils. I have a backlog of commission work that I'm now trying to get to in sequence. To that end, this iconic bug:

IMG_6262.JPG

At first, I thought that was the photograph of the fossil you were commissioned to draw.

• 2 weeks later...

The last one of the summer. About 20 hours in sporadic bursts. H and HB pencils.

49EE7CCE-6B77-46F0-8F84-8C6D8F23EDFE.jpeg

• I found this Informative 11

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, piranha said:

He only does it for the halibut... :default_faint::P

oh my goodness. I could tell some sort of fishy joke was on the way

On The Hunt For The Trophy Otodus!

On 5/11/2019 at 2:23 PM, Kane said:

Thanks, all. :) 

And now for something I haven't tried in a very long time: white pencil on black paper. 

fullsizeoutput_522.jpeg

I quite like drawing like this as it makes you focus on the negative space so the shape is generally more accurate, your drawings are fabulous, if I have time I might also attempt some fossil drawings^_^