Kane’s Trilobite Drawings

Kane

It has been about 20 years since I last drew anything. Back in my teens, I had designs on being a professional illustrator and even had some modest commission work. But then I left it all aside to pursue academia and writing. Today I decided to see if I still remembered how to draw, and decided on testing that out with a quick 15 minute sketch using a 9B pencil. 

So it's a bit rough and sloppy... It's like having to relearn how to cursive write after decades of typing. Pencil strokes are not as controlled or elegant as they once were, but at least I seemed to have got it approximately correct, including the foreshortening of the right eye.

IMG_5029.JPG

• I found this Informative 41
  • Enjoyed 4

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Very good.  I like the shadowing.  And...what's cursive? :)

Everything is generated through your own will power ~ Ray Bradbury

5 minutes ago, Walt said:

Very good.  I like the shadowing.  And...what's cursive? :)

Writing "naughty" words. For a rusty artist, I'd say your sketches came out great Kane.

• I found this Informative 1

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Pretty good, much better than my embarrassing scribbles. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Thanks, everyone. :) I may have to dig the ol' art supplies from storage and try to have a proper go at it again. At the moment, it still feels like I'm trying to play the piano with my feet. :D 

Definitely time to showcase your abilities again, Kane. Go find those art supplies! Your quick sketch is wonderful! You've got the eye. I can occasionally drag a decent looking drawing out of my pencils but it's never a quick process for me. Yours look they belong in one of those natural history sketchbooks you see in the bookstores. A pleasure to look at.

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

Kane's going to have to buy a bigger hat if we keep this up :D

Everything is generated through your own will power ~ Ray Bradbury

2 hours ago, Pagurus said:

Definitely time to showcase your abilities again, Kane. Go find those art supplies! Your quick sketch is wonderful! You've got the eye. I can occasionally drag a decent looking drawing out of my pencils but it's never a quick process for me. Yours look they belong in one of those natural history sketchbooks you see in the bookstores. A pleasure to look at.

Thanks, Mike! As our highly talented emoticon designer, I take that as high praise. :) Still can't seem to find the supplies... The missus reorganized everything, which means I have no clue where most things are anymore. :D 

1 hour ago, Ludwigia said:

Get back to it Kane. Even I can see that you've got talent.

Thanks. :) I suppose I should be known for more than just bashing rocks and writing weird books. :P 

1 hour ago, Walt said:

Kane's going to have to buy a bigger hat if we keep this up :D

LOL. I still have a lot to re-learn. 

Kane has been holding out on us!!!

Impressive sketch work, my friend.  ;)   :dinothumb:

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

really good, I´d like to see what you create when doing more than a quick sketch.

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

• 3 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

I’m glad he lives 1,500 miles away so he can’t personally make me look like a gorilla with a shovel.:P

Don't forget the (man)skirt! :rofl:

20180818_184046.png

13 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Add this to the long list of @Kane‘s amazing abilities. 

I’m glad he lives 1,500 miles away so he can’t personally make me look like a gorilla with a shovel.:P

Heh, thanks, Kris. You would have fit in fine up here where I'm vacationing... The piper parade came through town, and one of the town slogans depicting a guy in a kilt is "pants optional." :D 

IMG_5068.JPG

@caldigger, I prefer the term “battle skirt” it’s much cooler. But, that is pretty close to what I look like!

@Kane, I bet that was a cool parade. Kilts are the best. I even have people at my church used to me wearing one now. My boys got pretty mad at me for not ordering them new kilts when I got mine so I’ll have to get some more soon. I’ll probably have to get another for myself while I’m at it!

23 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

@Kane, I bet that was a cool parade. Kilts are the best. I even have people at my church used to me wearing one now. My boys got pretty mad at me for not ordering them new kilts when I got mine so I’ll have to get some more soon. I’ll probably have to get another for myself while I’m at it!

Now you just have to learn the bagpipes! :D One of my friends is the official piper at Grand Lodge who plays at some of our ceremonies. 

That parade goes through this town every Saturday punctually at 8 pm in the summer. The local businesses set out chairs for viewing, although a lot of the townspeople end up marching behind them for the whole parade route (which is not all that long). Their kilts are the kind with the thin pleats (looks a little like a crimped lampshade). If I were to entertain getting a kilt, I'd prefer something with flatter pleats. Not saying I'm getting a kilt. :P 

32 minutes ago, Kane said:

If I were to entertain getting a kilt, I'd prefer something with flatter pleats. Not saying I'm getting a kilt. :P 

I prefer a deeper pleat as well. Most of my kilts have a 3-4” deep pleat. My newest kilt has a thinner pleat but it is pleated to the sett rather than the line so it doesn’t look like a lampshade. It also has a box pleat rather than a knife pleat.

I don’t think you should get a kilt. I don’t think the world could handle that much manliness. :P