Kane

My Trilobite Drawings

Mark Kmiecik

@dinosaur man You can get a Faber-Castell set of drawing pencils online for about twelve dollars. A set usually includes grades from 8B (soft/dark) through 2H (hard/light). However, all you really need to get started you can find in the school supply section of any store that carries school supplies, like the larger grocery chains. You need one dark, one light and one in between -- in other words, black, medium gray and light gray. Once you have those it only takes a few thousand hours to get good at it.

Jackson g

I get more amazed each drawing you do! You could do this as a job, with all that artistic talent. :trilowalk:

Ruger9a

Wow, fantastic work.  I wish I was endowed with your artistic talent, but alas I was only given the talent of losing/misplacing things.

NCPhilip

Oh my goodness! I just discovered this thread and am in love with your drawings. I can't begin to decide which is my favorite, although I think the white on black and the gold bug Triarthrus are excellently executed artistic challenges. You have an amazing eye for shade and so any time you depict nodules they really project beautifully from the page! I might have to ask you about a commissioned work when the summer comes and school life becomes less demanding :D Thank you for sharing these treasures with us (and the awesome gifs of the process)

Philip

Kane

Thanks, gents! Apologies for the delay, and my thanks for your kind words. :) 

I do have two lichids in the hopper, but those take an eternity due to their tendency to be so pustulose. And, well, I have to draw each pustule, right? :default_faint::P 

Tidgy's Dad

Amazing! 

That really looks like a photograph. :)

FossilNerd

It’s crazy that these are done with only pencils. I’m amazed by your artistry Kane! Great job!  

Ludwigia

Hopefully you'll be seeing light at the end of the tunnel soon.

NCPhilip

Beautiful as always! 

Kane

Thanks gents. :) There will hopefully be more. 

At some point, I'll have to look at effective ways of scanning/photographing them all, which is tricky as graphite tends to reflect light. :blink:

Both wrists are kind of pooched, sadly. Elective surgery may be necessary for the one, but that won't be happening anytime soon, understandably. 

taj

amazing!

snolly50

I very much enjoyed seeing that masterful illustration.

Bobby Rico
8 minutes ago, Kane said:

And here's another. It looks a lot better in person on account of the left hand side getting washed out by the lightbulb.

Beautiful Kane you should in the future have an exhibition. Your drawing and some of your bugs together would make a captivating show.
All the best my friend. Bobby 

Ruger9a
52 minutes ago, Kane said:

Thank you all for your kind words. They keep my pencils moving. :) 

And here's another. It looks a lot better in person on account of the left hand side getting washed out by the lightbulb.

Darn, it looks so life like, it could just walk off the paper...……  Great job.

Coco

Hi,

I don’t often comment on your drawings, but they are wonderful. Every time it’s a real pleasure to discover them :default_clap2:

Coco

Kane

Aw, shucks, thanks all. :trilosurprise:

Now that 741/800 final papers have been read, graded, and given feedback, I'm near the end of the semester which means... more time to doodle! 

Some challenges for this year will include seeking the best way to photograph pencil drawings, a better way of removing/blending pencil strokes, a more practical way of getting even more crisp detail (particularly on pustules). I'll continue working to the size of the paper. It does take longer to fill it, but it allows for more detail. I consider myself about 80% to where I want to be, pencil skills-wise (last year at this time, I'd have said about 25%, so definitely pleased with the progress that comes of patient application). 

In the hopper is a Damesella, Metopolichas, Dicranopeltis. If anyone wants to see a particular bug being given the graphite treatment, let me know and I'll see if I can get it in the queue. :) 

Tidgy's Dad

The Damesella could be a spiky challenge! :)

Kane
15 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

The Damesella could be a spiky challenge! :)

Consider it my next challenge. A fine choice for the discerning trilo-palate such as yours, sir!