Kane’s Trilobite Drawings

Kane

Another beauty Kane! Great start to 2021’s bug drawings.

• I found this Informative 1

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Stunning as always. It looks like I could reach out and feel 3-dimensional structure.

• I found this Informative 1

3 hours ago, Thomas.Dodson said:

Stunning as always. It looks like I could reach out and feel 3-dimensional structure.

Thank you! :) 

I know my next illustration (a Metopolichas) will also add the shadow to give it that 3D pop. 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

15 minutes ago, jeannie55 said:

I am in awe of your drawings.

Other questions are best sent via PM. ;) 

• I found this Informative 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

• 1 month later...

This is what 100 hours looks like. This took a ridiculous amount of time (broken up by distractions, work, etc.), and no less because the whole thing is covered in pustules. Of course, realism demands each one of them is drawn. This was started on January 19th. 

Materials: Pencils (8H, 3H, 2H, HB, 3B, 6B), standard printer paper. Minimal use of tortillon. 

CFE7CCC7-C094-4DF5-B839-1F0B78985DDF_1_201_a.jpeg

• I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 7

For those who like process, the "making of" Metopolichas

CCBF7BA2-67CA-4777-B608-BC28F5D902AC.jpeg4319583E-D5A0-4F64-A868-4744914067B4.jpeg02664738-74B2-40D4-B18C-8686E044346F.jpeg

92821B90-96B1-473B-8EC9-4BFBEFF213F4.jpegE346DE60-A761-45A7-9F83-EB80098CD412.jpeg51388C22-EFDF-4937-8A3E-151E6AFB71EE.jpeg

Drawing the pustules takes a series of steps to get them right. If only it were just drawing tiny circles all over the shell! No, they need to be treated with proper shading like little bumps. 

1CDAF5A6-4415-4697-86C3-5EB31B62E42E_1_201_a.jpeg

Taking a break from drawing trilobites and plan on drawing something different for next time.

anigif.gif

• I found this Informative 8
  • Enjoyed 6

You need to take your trilobite off the paper, I can't see the drawing, its that realistic

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

On 2/17/2021 at 3:09 PM, Kane said:

This is what 100 hours looks like. This took a ridiculous amount of time (broken up by distractions, work, etc.), and no less because the whole thing is covered in tubercles/pustules. Of course, realism demands each one of them is drawn. This was started on January 19th.

Materials: Pencils (8H, 3H, 2H, HB, 3B, 6B), standard printer paper. Minimal use of tortillon. 

CFE7CCC7-C094-4DF5-B839-1F0B78985DDF_1_201_a.jpeg

Goodness me... That's incredible, no other word for it! :drool:

~ Isaac; www.isaactfm.com 

"Don't move! He can't see us if we don't move!" - Alan Grant

Come to the spring that is The Fossil Forum, where the stream of warmth and knowledge never runs dry.

4 minutes ago, IsaacTheFossilMan said:

no other word for it!

except awesome or perfect or realistic, amazing, the best, great, terrific, and all those other words

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

2 minutes ago, Top Trilo said:

except awesome or perfect or realistic, amazing, the best, great, terrific, and all those other words

Hang on, let me get my thesaurus and dictionary out... Yeap, just as I thought. The definition of perfect has been rectified, to SPECIFICALLY reference Kane's work. Finally...

~ Isaac; www.isaactfm.com 

"Don't move! He can't see us if we don't move!" - Alan Grant

Come to the spring that is The Fossil Forum, where the stream of warmth and knowledge never runs dry.

1 hour ago, Pagurus said:

I admire your pustules, Kane!

Things you don't usually hear people say.:BigSmile:

Anyway, great drawings, Kane! You should try other creatures, like dinos or ammos!

"Its webs of living gauze no more unfurl;

Wrecked is the ship of pearl!

And every chambered cell,

Where its dim dreaming life was wont to dwell" :ammonite01:

-From The Chambered Nautilus by Oliver Wendell Holmes

Man, am I ever impressed! I'm still struggling with my next ammonite, but it's not going to come anywhere near to this! I'm still trying to figure out which pencil is best for what.

• Enjoyed 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

1 hour ago, yardrockpaleo said:

Anyway, great drawings, Kane! You should try other creatures, like dinos or ammos!

He's done a few others. Crab, fish, etc.

He is primarily really  focused on trilobites, however. ;) 

Well done, Sir Kane! Another masterpiece!

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thanks everyone for your kind words (and a few chuckles, too!). 

Yes, as Tim said, I've done a few other critters. I have a few non-trilobites lined up for this year, but will be doodling some "bugs" still. I don't foresee any dinos, and as for ammos we are fortunate to have another artist on deck who will treat us to those. 

@Ludwigia -- if you're ever a bit unsure about pencils, I am always happy to make suggestions. :) 

Ridiculously good Kane, as are all your drawings, but this one really jumps out at me. Love it! :wub:

• Thank You 1

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

• 5 months later...

Absolutely amazing! Your work is admirable. 

Regards,

Asher

The more I learn, the more I find that I know nothing. 

Regards, 

Asher 

I've been waiting for one of these. With the massive load of prep work it looks like you have I was unsure if there would be anymore of these equally amazing drawings. I always find it difficult to draw from an angle other than straight down, its hard to draw a symmetric object asymmetrically while being able to tell its still symmetric but not for you, they look even more realistic this way. Great job, detail and shading is perfect.

Edited by Top Trilo
  • I Agree 2

Thanks all for your kind words. :) 

@Top Trilo -- Aye, a mix of a lot of prep, bouts of work, and just not feeling in the right frame of mind to pick up the pencils. :D But, yes, there will likely be more at some point. Not shown are the many sketches and unfinished/abandoned drawings. I started a cystoid, but eventually became disinterested in it (but I may pick it back up again).

Drawing at dynamic/oblique angles is always a challenge, and is easier to do from a photo (as I did above) than doing so freehand. Foreshortening is even more difficult. Here is an example of a poster illustration from WWI, the famous "Lord Kitchener appeal" where the viewer is being directly implicated by the pointing finger:

image.png

Training the eyes and tricking the brain is required to be able to transfer a 3D object to a 2D medium. There are two tricks, one of which being to remove depth perception by closing one eye and measuring perspective with the brush or thumb in that classic, almost stereotypical painter pose:

image.png

And the other helpful hack is the Renaissance innovation of using vanishing points:

image.png

This takes a lot of the guesswork out and prevents us from drawing what we think is there, and drawing what is actually there. It keeps proportions in line. 

Of course, there is nothing wrong with drawing the more straight-on, symmetric specimen either. But then you might lose out on some of the really neat details, foreshortening aspects that truly deserve a more dynamic angle to see in all their splendour (think here of the "horns" on Dicranurus!). In fact, dynamic posing gives the subject of the drawing a bit more pizazz and suggestion of movement or flow. I am thinking in particular the classical Greek innovation of contrapposto that was so popular it was used later by the Romans (Augustus of Prima Porta), Renaissance artists (Michelangelo's statue of David), and even a bit in superhero comics. 

image.png

But sometimes artists have to creatively fudge the composition to make it look normal when going for accuracy would make it seem awkward. A good example of that would be Michelangelo's Pietà:

image.png

Seems well proportioned, right? Not quite! In order to accommodate the composition to make this seem natural, Michelangelo shrank the Jesus figure; otherwise, he would not fit on Mary's lap. In fact, if the male figure was of average height, Mary would be over eight feet tall. And yet despite the disparate proportionality in this sculpture, it seems to work and not jarring on the eye. 

• I found this Informative 4

Very interesting.

From someone who can't draw at all. 

Your drawings are becoming so good one would think they were photos, as others have mentioned.

Exquisite. :)

• Thank You 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png