DevonianDigger

A visitor brought this item up front and I'm pulling the room to see if anyone has a definite ID on this piece. It's almost like coal, definitely seems like a carbonized something. Doesn't have the calcite to indicate plant, perhaps a fish coprolite? Thanks in advance.

20180731_104238-1248x1664.jpg

20180731_104245-1248x1664.jpg

20180731_104252-1248x1664.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

Jay A. Wollin

Lead Fossil Educator - Penn Dixie Fossil Park and Nature Reserve

Hamburg, New York, USA

It looks like coalified plant material. Calcite is usually present as an infill of cracks in the carbonized fossils. It's an association, not a diagnostic requirement. Because it is Middle Devonian in age; my guess is it is a stalk plant like Pertica, Iridopteris or some Psilophyton.  These plant fragments appear with some frequency and are known in the WNY region.

4 minutes ago, Carl said:

I could see that as plant or coprolite. Not enough detail for me to do better,

Perhaps the resemblance to hard coal suggests, if ever so slightly,  that it was prepossessed in an animals G.I. tract in a way that is similar to the composting process that occurs in coal swamps ?

• I found this Informative 1

I'll have to try and get access to get more photos. It was donated to the PD collection, so it is now at the office. Since I'm a site jockey, I don't see the office very often. I'll try to get more photos though. 

Jay A. Wollin

Hamburg, New York, USA

22 hours ago, GeschWhat said:

I have seen coprolites from England that are really glassy like that. Can I see a photo of this? It looks a bit like it could be a coprolite. It might give a clue as as to the other.

Maybe.jpg

I can tell you from looking at the photo that those are a pair or Eldredgeops rana cephalons. Top one is facing down, lower one is facing toward the arrow, toward the lower left of the image.

Jay A. Wollin

Hamburg, New York, USA

Jay,

I've seen similar items on fish plates of Scottish Devonian age. I'm in the coprolite camp on this one.

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me