Stegosaurus, allosaurus, tyrannosaurus, plesiosaurus

Still_human

Hmmm, I can't add anymore pictures:/ but on that drawing, it's the "scap" scapula, right?

May be have to hold it.    The coracoid looks like a flatish bone in the sketches.  Not the case here

Oh....ok, NOW it lets me. Ok, so match the yellow circles on the 2 pics. That's right, right? Obviously it's missing a lot of the parts that curl up and down, but it looks right to me this way too. Do you still think it's something else?

IMG_7029.PNG

3 minutes ago, Troodon said:

May be have to hold it.    The coracoid looks like a flatish bone in the sketches.  Not the case here

I'm sorry lol, I don't even know which one we're talking about anymore:doh!:

the plesiosaur? 

2 hours ago, Still_human said:

I just got some more pictures...

IMG_7024.PNG

Oh....ok, NOW it lets me. Ok, so match the yellow circles on the 2 pics. That's right, right? Obviously it's missing a lot of the parts that curl up and down, but it looks right to me this way too. Do you still think it's something else?

IMG_7029.PNG

No that's not it at all. I think it does not look anything like Plesiosaurus.

It looks like a dinosaur ischium (or possibly a pubis) with a piece of bone and a vertebra stuck to it. I'd say it looks most like an ischium from a theropod.

In your photo the sticky shaped thing on the lower left side I think is a random bone that is attached to the (probable) ischium. The dorsal spine of the vertebra, like the random piece of bone on the left is still attached in situ on to the ischium. So the ischium here is lying with it's distal end to the left. The long shaft is horizontal and the hook shape to the lower right is where it attaches to the ilium and pubis.

Here are some dinosaur hip examples.

see2m.jpgdinosaur-images-019-resize.jpg

Ischium of Ichthyovenator

Ichthyovenator+pubis.jpg

Also, posting so many specimens in one thread is very confusing to talk about as not everyone is talking about the same thing.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

I found the seller of this material and the pelvic bone is from the Pierre Shale Fm in montana which is primarily marine. 

I guess the things I'm really trying to decide about are the allosaurus vert and the stegosaurus double verts.

Well you really dont have good photos of that pair of verts, lots of Ornithischians in the morisson and good identifications dont seem to be a strong point with this supplier.  Like I said before not sure you can assign that single centrum to Allo without more diagnostic features.  There are other Theropods  in the Morrison 

Yeah, you're right about that. These things in particular though, are SUPPOSED to be parts of larger number of bones of the individuals. Especially the stego. I think that allo individual was only a few bones. I'll hafta go read the info for the fossils, again.

23 hours ago, Still_human said:

Yeah, you're right about that. These things in particular though, are SUPPOSED to be parts of larger number of bones of the individuals. Especially the stego. I think that allo individual was only a few bones. I'll hafta go read the info for the fossils, again.

Get more photos that are lighter, easier to see of the sides, end and bottom.  Not obtuse angle shots but straight in photos.  If he's interested in selling them he should provide them to you.

On 7/31/2018 at 6:29 PM, LordTrilobite said:

No that's not it at all. I think it does not look anything like Plesiosaurus.

It looks like a dinosaur ischium (or possibly a pubis) with a piece of bone and a vertebra stuck to it. I'd say it looks most like an ischium from a theropod.

In your photo the sticky shaped thing on the lower left side I think is a random bone that is attached to the (probable) ischium. The dorsal spine of the vertebra, like the random piece of bone on the left is still attached in situ on to the ischium. So the ischium here is lying with it's distal end to the left. The long shaft is horizontal and the hook shape to the lower right is where it attaches to the ilium and pubis.

Here are some dinosaur hip examples.

see2m.jpgdinosaur-images-019-resize.jpg

Ischium of Ichthyovenator

Ichthyovenator+pubis.jpg

Lol I can't tell you HOW confused you have me here!!! 

*yes, that random piece of bone sticking out is the process of that vert, which is why it's added it in the pictures and included as part of the piece

Just in case we're not talking about the same "random bone" thingee. The blue is where the process is attached to the larger bone. The red is part of the main bone, either naturally like that, or like i was thinking, leftover from stuff on both sides breaking off,leaving it as, well, as the bone thingee

Please restrict any commentary on sellers to PM.  Thanks.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Lol I can't tell you HOW confused you have me here!!! 

*yes, that random piece of bone sticking out is the process of that vert, which is why it's added it in the pictures and included as part of the piece

This is what I am seeing. A vert (blue), a hip piece (red), and a random piece of bone (green). Of course I could still be wrong.

IMG_7024.PNG.01616323191a95504810e63d15ac193e.PNG.jpg.ec7e93022f8765beb5864422b76f7764.jpg

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Ohhhhh, ok, I thought u were referring to the process attached to the main bone as the random.

In pictures where you can see it closer, the random part looks like it's perfectly smoothly attached though, doesn't it? No difference in angle, height, coming right out of the side and not off the top or bottom. Do separate, non articulated pieces that attach, generally fuse so smooth? The process for instance, is plainly sitting ATOP the other bone.

It's REALLY frustrating!!! The more I look at it, and study plesy bones, the less I understand it!!!

5 minutes ago, Still_human said:

It's REALLY frustrating!!! The more I look at it, and study plesy bones, the less I understand it!!!

Hard to say what it really looks like without holding it, who knows if it was restored or just repaired.  The locality is marine.

I did notice that part of the sides appear rough, as if broken off, while some is smooth...

that might point to those areas be normally filled in, but filling them in doesnt seem to help me in recognizing it, so I don't know what difference it would make, but I thought I'd point it out 

IMG_7073.PNG

Archived