gigantoraptor

Hello all,.

I got this bones some time ago, they come from Sauerland, Germany, more exactly the pleistocene depots in this area.

They weren't sold as bird bones, but when I compared it to a fossil bird femur it looked like a match. 

Some bird experts here? I know @Auspex knows a lot from these animals.

The bones range from just under 1 cm to 1,5 cm.

Hope the pictures work.

Greetings.

Fossil kiwi femur.jpg

Sauerland 1.png

Sauerland, 3.png

Sauerland, Pleistocene 1.png

Sauerland, Pleistocene 2.png

Sauerland, Pleistocene.png

Sauerland.png

Hi

have you got a macro setting on your camera because they are very blurry. Also trying taking them in daylight your get a better picture. :)

1 minute ago, Bobby Rico said:

Hi

have you got a macro setting on your camera because they are very blurry. Also trying taking them in daylight your get a better picture. :)

Both macro and daylight, but cropped because they were too heavy.

4 minutes ago, gigantoraptor said:

Both macro and daylight, but cropped because they were too heavy.

I don’t think you have got them in focus. Turn your automatic focus on and move your camera until it looks sharper. If you have a tripod use that. I really hope they are bird bones.  :fingerscrossed:

13 minutes ago, gigantoraptor said:

Is this beter @Bobby Rico?

037.jpg

I think you camera is focusing on the white material not the fossil try putting them on something white and flatter. I have lightened one to see more but still not great. I have some small turtles bones from Hell Creak and they took me some time to get a good photograph. 

14654C16-6A78-4922-A8CC-B988788B44EF.jpeg

1 minute ago, Kane said:

What are you taking the picture with?

A camera with a special macro lens and anti-reflector thing on it. I don't know what kind of brand they are.

Femurs in particular are of a fairly universal general design, but I think that these are much too robust (in girth) for their length, to be avian.

~~.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Nobody who has an Idea about these? Could they be bat? That's what they were sold as.

56 minutes ago, gigantoraptor said:

Could they be bat?

Not an expert, but in my opinion yes.

After considering it further, I'm afraid these are a bit robust for a bat also. 

Length/diameter being the problem.

The bat bones I have seen from Florida Brooksvile seems a lot finer than yours. Let’s hope someone can help you.

On 7/31/2018 at 1:04 PM, gigantoraptor said:

The bones range from just under 1 cm to 1,5 cm.

No rabbit stew for you. :)

@ynot, @Rockwood, @Bobby Rico  Sorry but I mixed up the labels. These bones are not from the Pleistocene but from the middle Paleocene. I found this femur from a species inside the Adapisoriculidae. What do you think. Similarities?

I have a couple more that def look like the first type.

image.jpeg.133f63d50b53246554a9eedfd2515447.jpeg

11 minutes ago, gigantoraptor said:

What do you think. Similarities?

I don't think similarities are going to cut it.

Someone experienced with the group may be able to say, but these things are usually identified by the teeth I think. 

It would help to know a little Bit more about the exactly location. Sauerland is an area with a lot of thousands Kilometers....usually there is a good knowledge about Fauna of each locality.

21 minutes ago, Pemphix said:

It would help to know a little Bit more about the exactly location. Sauerland is an area with a lot of thousands Kilometers....usually there is a good knowledge about Fauna of each locality.

The fissure fills of Walbeck is the exact location. I forgot to add because the labels were mixed.