Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
ThePrehistoricMaster

Fake trilobites?

Recommended Posts

ThePrehistoricMaster

Hi, I'm concerned that these four trilobites may be fakes. I bought them a long time ago by a guy, who claimed they were genuine. Some of them, especially the Psychopyge, almost looks too good to be real.

But I wanna know what other people think. :)

Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ThePrehistoricMaster

1. Proetus

20180731_184337.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ThePrehistoricMaster

2. Paralejurus

20180731_184450.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ThePrehistoricMaster

3. Psychopyge

20180731_184534.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ThePrehistoricMaster

4. Cambropallas

20180731_184647.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kane

Try retaking the first two pictures looking straight down on the specimen. Oblique angles makes it challenging to make out the details to determine authenticity. 

 

The last two look a bit dodgy. The Psychopyge appears to have some carved elements, and there may be some composite restorations on the Camproballas

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LordTrilobite

The first two look completely real. they both have very crisp detail you generally do not see on fakes.

The third one does look quite dubious and I would pass on that one.

The fourth one looks like a typical Cambropallas that has repaired areas. Likely a real trilobite with some areas sculpted/restored. There's also the possibility with these that it was composited from different incomplete Cambropallas trilobites.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ThePrehistoricMaster
49 minutes ago, Kane said:

Try retaking the first two pictures looking straight down on the specimen. Oblique angles makes it challenging to make out the details to determine authenticity.

Here you go, hope this is better:

20180731_195824.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ThePrehistoricMaster
52 minutes ago, Kane said:

Try retaking the first two pictures looking straight down on the specimen. Oblique angles makes it challenging to make out the details to determine authenticity. 

and...

20180731_200042.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kane

Much better, thanks! :) It is real (this species is common and not worth faking), with the only enhancements being whatever coating they apply to make it "pop."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ThePrehistoricMaster
46 minutes ago, LordTrilobite said:

The first two look completely real. they both have very crisp detail you generally do not see on fakes.

The third one does look quite dubious and I would pass on that one.

The fourth one looks like a typical Cambropallas that has repaired areas. Likely a real trilobite with some areas sculpted/restored. There's also the possibility with these that it was composited from different incomplete Cambropallas trilobites.

 

1 minute ago, Kane said:

Much better, thanks! :) It is real (this species is common and not worth faking), with the only enhancements being whatever coating they apply to make it "pop."

 

Thank you so much for the help! :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
aeon.rocks

1&2 are real (2. is a nice one)

3 is very quick prep, "nose" is completely fake and there are other areas heavily "restored", missing spines etc - pass on it, unless it's very cheap (≤50$); hard to say from this one pic only, but it's what you should expect fake ones look like

4 is also heavily restored, especially cephalon, but typical 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
aeon.rocks

PS: checked 3 again on close up: it's 100% fake, mold - not even a bit real

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ThePrehistoricMaster
5 minutes ago, aeon.rocks said:

PS: checked 3 again on close up: it's 100% fake, mold - not even a bit real

Thanks, that's what I thought.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fitch1979

hey there .. 3rd one is complete fake, sorry. 

 

Can you make a picture of the backside of the cambropallas?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fitch1979

first 2 trilos are 100% real

cambropallas (there are even more fracture lines then marked yet on the cephalon part)

 

cambro.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ThePrehistoricMaster
59 minutes ago, Fitch1979 said:

hey there .. 3rd one is complete fake, sorry. 

 

Can you make a picture of the backside of the cambropallas?

Backside of cambropallas:

20180731_220611.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ThePrehistoricMaster
49 minutes ago, Fitch1979 said:

first 2 trilos are 100% real

cambropallas (there are even more fracture lines then marked yet on the cephalon part)

 

cambro.jpg

WOW! Thanks for the illustration, that's really helpful :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LiamL

So were the prep marks added to the third one to make it appear real?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
aeon.rocks
18 hours ago, LiamL said:

So were the prep marks added to the third one to make it appear real?

 

Yes, to make it look quick rough preped, but check the close up where you can easily see air bubbles and lack of details. It's typical psychopyge fake:

Screen Shot 2018-08-01 at 17.18.01.png

 

Compared to real one:

 6bbb14876281496c7f327dfbc1abdae7.jpg.48aec2a17aeb30b7a6d1fcde401b177a.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×